See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance Heat... Only take even money?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Insurance Heat... Only take even money?

Hey, folks;

So as I've been watching ploppies (in the interest of borrowing their appearance), I've noticed that most avoid insurance, except for "even money" on blackjacks, which approximately half or more than half take almost every time.

I know that one of the easy hints of card counting is a person who only takes insurance on their big bets, and it certainly is pretty obvious to see it happening (chips are moving around). So, I was wondering if anyone has gone with a strategy of never taking insurance except on blackjacks, and on those of course only when the count would suggest taking it; this would be for camouflage while not missing out on the benefits of insurance entirely.

A pit critter determined to notice the pattern would still see it, presumably, but it seems far less obvious, or certainly less of something to overhear or see from a distance as concerning and worthy of additional attention.

Thoughts? On my phone currently, but will run a simulation later when I'm at my main computer.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Insurance is the HIGHEST VALUE index available.

Always take insurance when your count dictates!

If you are looking for cover, then insure some or you minimum bet opportunities. Dealer will have blackjack about a third of the time which means you will win one out of three. A very cheap cover for an important index in a big bet, regardless of your hand value. As always, cover is not free.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Ian Anderson discusses this in detail in his book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
    Ian Anderson discusses this in detail in his book.
    Thank you! Ordered.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You don't have to take full insurance. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    You don't have to take full insurance. Just saying.
    Is the suggestion to take insurance all the time for camouflage, but only for as little as possible except when the count says to take it, at which point take full insurance? Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonDetroit View Post
    Is the suggestion to take insurance all the time for camouflage, but only for as little as possible except when the count says to take it, at which point take full insurance? Thanks for clarifying.
    I am saying if you take partial insurance some of the time that it is not an index play your insurance bet correlation will seem more random. That helps pass skills tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I am saying if you take partial insurance some of the time that it is not an index play your insurance bet correlation will seem more random. That helps pass skills tests.
    Andersen, in one if his books, stated he collaborated with Wong, on the cost of several low cost strategies, including taking insurance on every hand, when available. Not withstanding the stakes. From my original mentor, whom I haven't seen in a few years, I have, so ewhere, a low cost strategy chart, in excel format. I don't use it, but it was a handy reference.

I like taking partial insurance on strong hands near the index, it is a reasonable way to hedge your bets.

Do you think partial insurance actually deflects or attracts? Do you think knowing you can insure for less is a bit of arcane knowledge or widely understood?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
    Do you think partial insurance actually deflects or attracts? Do you think knowing you can insure for less is a bit of arcane knowledge or widely understood?

The concept is

Only fools double for less (when double is warranted). Extending the concept, only fools I sure for less. So, either your bad enough, or look bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The concept is Only fools double for less (when double is warranted). Extending the concept, only fools I sure for less. So, either your bad enough, or look bad enough.
    right - got it - thanks. i guess that is the underlying theme of all great cover: be perceived as an idiot. I'm sure Sun Tzu said something about that. He was talking about war, but really, we all know he was talking about advantage play at cards.

If the count is high enough to split 99 v A it is high enough to take full insurance.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast