See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need I-18 Cards

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    "Thanks, Golf. Will do so immediately. This is the kind of specific, helpful, and non-judgmental post I expected from BJTF!"

Specifically, you want page 213.

Don

After having learned multiple index sets I would not recommend learning indices from a chart. I find that while you may learn them faster initially, you're slowing yourself down in the long run.

When recalling indexes you learned from a chart, your brain is forced to invoke a visualization of the chart, then search that mental image for the correct index. This is taxing on your limited 'working memory' which is already being taxed by other aspects of card counting.

When u just learn the index directly, via flashcards, you skip that visualization step, speeding up recall and lessening the strain on your working memory.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrugby View Post
    After having learned multiple index sets I would not recommend learning indices from a chart. I find that while you may learn them faster initially, you're slowing yourself down in the long run.

When recalling indexes you learned from a chart, your brain is forced to invoke a visualization of the chart, then search that mental image for the correct index. This is taxing on your limited 'working memory' which is already being taxed by other aspects of card counting.

When u just learn the index directly, via flashcards, you skip that visualization step, speeding up recall and lessening the strain on your working memory.
    I used to think the other way but now I agree - if you learn them individually it will take longer but be on faster recall

Banned or Suspended

People have varying learning "styles"

I learned very quickly by grouping indices by

the value of the player hand and SINGING it.

Singing 'to myself ' ~ an ancillary recall method.

So ... early on, I taught myself what amounted

to a song that I could chant while driving my car.

I made an audio tape of my chanting the important

and the not so important indices, and I would force

myself to sing along.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "Thanks, Golf. Will do so immediately. This is the kind of specific, helpful, and non-judgmental post I expected from BJTF!"

Specifically, you want page 213.

Don
    Thanks, Don for the reference. Although I'm stuck in the Revere-colored-coded-grouping-laminated-card rut, I really appreciate the terse but helpful reference. Your book was one of the first I ordered. It's heavy slogging, but I'm finding the part on optimal point of departure particularly helpful.

Also, thank you Zenmaster for the singing approach. I never would have thought about. Although I'm music-challenged, it has possibilities. Just hope I don't burst out singing at the table! BTW, Freightman, is Zenmaster's response the one you goaded him to make? If so, thanks, and he'll fully deserve the honors you heap on him.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Attention Flash
    I'm tempted, but I'll leave the honours to you
    Diogenes
    To answer your query. No, Flash missed it.
    Flash, I leave the honour of response to you, with regards to post 12.

Diogenes

Freightman, I missed it to. Was the anticipated response supposed to be to be sarcastic or commendatory? I need to get my social media people
    hustling. If you're simply to timid to make it yourself, no worries. I'm peaceable, so won't slit my wrists or come after you for anything you say.

Diogenes, it appears that your quest for an honest (& helpful) man on BJTF has paid off in spades. From what I've seen, most do.
    Of course, there is a certain amount of irreverent "fun" that you'll have to wade through, but I bet you'll find it a cheap price for what you get out of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Diogenes

Freightman, I missed it to. Was the anticipated response supposed to be to be sarcastic or commendatory? I need to get my social media people
    hustling. If you're simply to timid to make it yourself, no worries. I'm peaceable, so won't slit my wrists or come after you for anything you say.
    Flash is normally very quick to pick up on that one, however, given recent discussion on dining arrangements, and given further that both Flash and RCJH are members if the hi opt brigade, Flash may well be practicing prudence.

You executed a faux pas by referring to RCJH as RCH, the abbreviated handle which in fact refers to a unit of measurement normally harvested from the erogenous zones of red haired females.

I trust no further explanation is necessary. I might add, that given recent events, it would be worthwhile for me to revert to more on topic responses.

Flash is normally very quick to pick up on that one, however, given recent discussion on dining arrangements, and given further that both Flash and RCJH are members if the hi opt brigade, Flash may well be practicing prudence.

You executed a faux pas by referring to RCJH as RCH, the abbreviated handle which in fact refers to a unit of measurement normally harvested from the erogenous zones of red haired females.

I trust no further explanation is necessary. I might add, that given recent events, it would be worthwhile for me to revert to more on topic responses.

Thanks, Freightman, for clearing it up. I try not no repeat faux passes. Your trivia re: red-heads is arguably off-topic, but interesting. I only hope you and Flash are not reduced to self-censorship, only civility.

Thanks, Freightman, for clearing it up. I try not no repeat faux passes. Your trivia re: red-heads is arguably off-topic, but interesting. I only hope you and Flash are not reduced to self-censorship, only civility.
    Sorry, but everything is not yet cleared up.

ZenMaster _Flash wrote:

"People have varying learning "styles"

I learned very quickly by grouping indices by

the value of the player hand and SINGING it.

Singing 'to myself ' ~ an ancillary recall method."

There may be only one other person in the world who also learned their index numbers from singing, and was an actor in character who played a man and a women in a big hit movie. Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWHYmNrAFlI
    Last edited by BoSox; 02-12-2018 at 12:14 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Diogenes, just a tip on quoting. If you highlight a passage in a post, you will be given the option to include it in your response as a quote, as I have done above. There's also a "Reply With Quote" button which can be used to quote the entire post but, in my opinion, that should be used sparingly. We see too many quotes of long posts with only one line of commentary added.

It makes it much easier for the reader to distinguish between the text you're quoting and your new comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Diogenes, just a tip on quoting. If you highlight a passage in a post, you will be given the option to include it in your response as a quote, as I have done above. There's also a "Reply With Quote" button which can be used to quote the entire post but, in my opinion, that should be used sparingly. We see too many quotes of long posts with only one line of commentary added.

It makes it much easier for the reader to distinguish between the text you're quoting and your new comments.
    Actually wondered why everyone seemed to be able to do that. Can't seem to do iff off an iPad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast