See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vikings blow line by taking a knee instead of an extra point

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Vikings blow line by taking a knee instead of an extra point

Minnesota with the line -5 to a more likely -5.5 against the Saints take a knee instead of go for the extra point when leading by 5. Who is pissed because it lost their bet and who is happy because it won their bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Minnesota with the line -5 to a more likely -5.5 against the Saints take a knee instead of go for the extra point when leading by 5. Who is pissed because it lost their bet and who is happy because it won their bet?
    I think the books took a bath on this one. The opening lines were 3.5 and 4. Mostly Vikings money pushed the line to 5, with 5.5 at the end. At that point, Saints bettors, who waited, got the hook. Books are pretty much screwed on this one.

Miracle finish featured one of the dumbest defensive plays in the history of organized football. Although I picked Minnesota, I was rooting for Drew Brees, who surely deserved better. A Brees-Brady Super Bowl would have been immensely entertaining. Brady-Keenum, not so much.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    I think the books took a bath on this one. The opening lines were 3.5 and 4. Mostly Vikings money pushed the line to 5, with 5.5 at the end. At that point, Saints bettors, who waited, got the hook. Books are pretty much screwed on this one.

Miracle finish featured one of the dumbest defensive plays in the history of organized football. Although I picked Minnesota, I was rooting for Drew Brees, who surely deserved better. A Brees-Brady Super Bowl would have been immensely entertaining. Brady-Keenum, not so much.

Don
    The upsets are not going over. A super bowl with Bortles vs. Keenum coming up.

What do you mean by "The upsets are not going over"?

Don

Banned or Suspended

I made a 'mental bet' on the Saints at +5.
    I nearly lost my
    mind, but got the push instead.
    That was O.K. with me. What would I do with
    extra 'mind' anyway? Hmmm. Give it to Trump!

Nick F. and Bortles in the Super bowl?

Brady will face a really good defense. That is his achilles heal. The trouble is the Jags' power running back got hurt and wasn't the a power running back when he returned in the second half. If he is the RB we saw in the second half the Pat's defense will have a much easier time. The Patriots might still win but it is far from automatic.

Nick F plays great off the bench as a backup QB once he shakes the cobwebs out. I think he is there now and the Eagles' D is also formidable so he might not have to do much to win as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. I know the new NFL cut the balls off the defense so they aren't as relevant as they once were but a few teams still have the right combination of players to have a big impact on games.

Rk Team G Pts/G TotPts Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sax Rtckg
    1 Jaguars 16 16.8 268 289 509 56.8 31.8 2,718 6.0 169.9 17 21 143 28.1 74T 40 12 55 68.5

The Jags have the second most interceptions, the second least TD passes allowed, the fewest passing yards allowed per game, the most sacks, the lowest average opponent passer rating, the lowest completion percentage for opposing QB's, the fewest completions allowed, and the second fewest points allowed in the regular season. Basically Brady will be facing hands down the best passing defense in the league. Usually great defense trumps great offense. I wouldn't be quick to think Brady will have an easy day.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Drunk. By the time the game vs 49ers started, the Jags had nothing to play for. In essence, a preseason game.
    And against the Steelers they played most of the game with a huge lead. Most teams are willing to give up easy short yardage with a big lead. Also the Steelers scored 3 TD's on 4th down, twice with 4th and long. The Patriots don't have an Antonio Brown. The Pats have Gronk, who is the best TE to ever play the game. I am sure Belichick is working on a game plan to use his teams strengths. They typically throw short passes. I would expect Belichick to have some surprises for the Jags defense. In my book it's Gronk and Belichick that carry the offense. Brady is a nice addition but is replaceable. That all said the Jags still have to score to win. The Pats' defense isn't what it once was but it is better than the Steelers' defense. Like I said if the Jags' power RB, Leonard Fournette, is not the power RB he has been the Jaguars may struggle to get their offense on track.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    you made some good points. although they recently gave up 42 points to the Steelers and (I'm holding my nose and yeah I know they traded for a better qb but still) 44 points to the 49ers. it was the most the 9ers scored all year.

Also, defensively, the Pats gave up a lot of yards but only 18.5 p.p.g.

I guess I have trouble seeing Jacksonville and Bortles as being "for real." I could be wrong, obviously.
    Tom Coughlin beat the Pats twice in big games with allegedly inferior teams including an undefeated Pats team. Bortles looks like he has gained confidence from the beginning of the wild card game through yesterday. Bortles reminds me a little of Bradshaw in his first 2 super bowls -- he game managed and underdog Steelers won with defence.

Where are the 4 stitches in Brady's hand? I remember getting 12 starts in my index finger while butchering a deer. I shot at a buck a couple days later and decided it hurt so bad I would be very selective at what I shot at for a week or so. The extreme discomfort was from the vibration of the bow but being physical with your hand like handling and throwing or handing off the football may be painful and just get worse as the game goes on. I doubt he will be able to play unaffected for very long.

Banned or Suspended

NFL Odds AFC & NFC Conference Championship Games
    NFL Football Odds Conference Championship Playoffs.
    Title Game NFL Playoff Odds, 1/21, 2018

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog Total Money Odds
    1/21 3:05 ET At New England -7.5 Jacksonville 45 -$360 +$300
    1/21 6:40 ET Minnesota -3 At Philadelphia 38.5 -$165 +$145
    Possible Super Bowl Matchup Odds For Super Bowl LII (52)
    Game Date 2/4, 2018

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog Total Money Odds
    2/4 6:30 ET New England -2 Minnesota 47 -$130 +$110
    2/4 6:30 ET New England -7 Philadelphia 45 -$340 +$280
    2/4 6:30 ET Minnesota -5.5 Jacksonville 40 -$240 +$200
    2/4 6:30 ET Jacksonville -2.5 Philadelphia 39 -$140 +$120

The Jags blew it by trying to work the clock to early. The were outplaying the Pats on both sides of the ball and then they acted like all that mattered was running down the clock and not scoring again.

Three, you mean Joe Flacco and the Ravens aren’t going to the Super Bowl as AFC Champions?
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast