See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy-in optics

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Buy-in optics

I’ve been reading with interest the archives on session bankroll. Based on what I’ve learnt, I’ve been buying in waaayyyy too light for correct play, but I view current live play as practicing keeping track of a live count in real conditions (improving!), betting discipline, etc. So it’s fine for now.

But when it’s time to start in earnest, the general advice is 30-50 max bets per session. Buy-ins I’m seeing at the tables I’m playing at are typically 1-3 max bets or say 10-30x table minimum. Some people come in and buy in 4 min bets. I may as well bring a bugle with me if I’m going to buy in 10 max bets which would be 2x table max bet limit. So:

1. What percentage of your session BR do you typically buy in at?
    2. Are table limits a function of that decision?
    3. What are the mechanics of even bringing out your cash (I’m thinking my money clip is a bad idea and I should use a typical folding wallet)? “Dealer, hold this elastic band while I peel off a grand...” doesn’t seem right.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't confuse buy-in with session bankroll. You don't need to buy in with everything you've brought. If you're red chipping, then buy in for $100-$200. If you're green chipping, then a $300 initial buy-in is ok. If you have the right act, it can look very good to be going into your pocket for more money if you lose your initial buy-in.

To answer your questions:
    1. It's not a percentage of the session BR. It's an amount that fits with the colour of chips you are (mostly) playing
    2. No, unless it affects the colour you're playing
    3. You want to look like you're chasing the loss. Make it look like you don't really want to buy more chips but you're going to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Don't confuse buy-in with session bankroll. You don't need to buy in with everything you've brought. If you're red chipping, then buy in for $100-$200. If you're green chipping, then a $300 initial buy-in is ok. If you have the right act, it can look very good to be going into your pocket for more money if you lose your initial buy-in.

1. It's not a percentage of the session BR. It's an amount that fits with the colour of chips you are (mostly) playing
    3. You want to look like you're chasing the loss. Make it look like you don't really want to buy more chips but you're going to anyway.
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post

In the places that I frequent, I buy in for $500. They know I have dough, so no sense hiding the fact, and it fits in with my bets. There's a place that I don't play often - has the same rules as above, which depending on dealer, has deck pens of 1.5 to 2.5. At this place, I buy in for $300. Allows me to get in and out quick if I get a winner (sarcastic) of a dealer. I don't know in advance, as there is NMSE and a covered shoe.

There is another location where I can normally play heads up at $25 min. If the critter with the broom is there, I go to the $10 table (better cut as well), and buy in for $300 - high I should for a $10 table, but again, they know I have it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    A good rule of thumb is to not buy in for more than 20x table minimum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 x base bet for me

If you can, keep a chip inventory. This cuts down on buy ins.

Thanks - that’s all valuable advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    At this place, I buy in for $300. Allows me to get in and out quick if I get a winner (sarcastic) of a dealer.
    Good point. Keeping the number of chips in front of you small makes it easier to leave the table (for whatever reason) without colouring up and without drawing attention.

I use a player's card so the buy in amount isn't a relevant matter. But the max bet and session win certainly are!

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Gronbog
    . [Post #2] +1

I recommend $50 or $100 buy-ins for nickel bettors and $200 for quarter bettors.

There is NO downside to buying-in frequently. It is part of your camouflage.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

Gronbog
    . [Post #2] +1

I recommend $50 or $100 buy-ins for nickel bettors and $200 for quarter bettors.

There is NO downside to buying-in frequently. It is part of your camouflage.

A bit impractical in for $200 rebuy when you want to make a big bet - or a super steamer.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    A bit impractical in for $200 rebuy when you want to make a big bet - or a super steamer.
    You just slam the money down, like a degenerate
    "chasing" his losses while crying out ~ "All In."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast