See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: KELLY betting-bankroll sizes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

KELLY betting-bankroll sizes

Hi Girls and Boys!

I've just read it somewhere now that in order for the Kelly Criterion to start having a positive effect (growth) on your bankroll You must apply Kelly in the following way:
    Small BR: Full
    Large BR: Half
    Mega BR: Third

My question is that what would you consider a small bankroll, a large bankroll and a Mega (huge) bankroll in terms of numbers?

Thanks for any input

All the best

Where is this "somewhere"? Sounds more like someone's opinion and not based on facts.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Obviously that is why i am asking.

This is an opinion by someone found on another blackjack forum. I’ve seen exactly the post you’re talking about.

Apply whatever Kelly betting principals you wish depending on how much risk you’re willing to take. Keep in mind betting over Kelly reduces optimal bankroll growth and beyond double Kelly ruin is all but certain.

I think it's a valid opinion. If you have a small bankroll (under $3k), playing $5-$20, it would take years for BR to grow playing unless you take risks. I think a BR under $10k is small, a BR over $100k is high and everything in the middle is in the middle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I think it's a valid opinion. If you have a small bankroll (under $3k), playing $5-$20, it would take years for BR to grow playing unless you take risks. I think a BR under $10k is small, a BR over $100k is high and everything in the middle is in the middle.
    Granted, my birthing days were a time of good local red chip conditions. I took $600 of seed money (highly replenishable)
    And built a formidable bankroll, easily exceeding your upper limit mentioned. It was during my 3rd or 4th year of play, after my bankroll hit 85k, that I graduated to $25 tables, and only because of deteriorating red chip conditions - I just really wanted to stay under the radar. It really seems like so long ago.

I know others, far more aggressive than myself, who have won significantly more than me, albeit at a cost of nowhere to play. My only real no play zone is my home city. The point is - it can be done. Desire and fortitude.

Banned or Suspended

Like many things mathematical in nature, it is
    good to understand the real-world implications.

Next time that you hear "constant resizing" please understand that you are not really going to do that. Hopefully, you will re-size in the downward direction after suffering a significant loss, e.g. >10% of your (actual) cash bankroll.

I've just had one quite recently...But i had a strong feeling i was over-betting heavily. And i also presume that i must have miscalculated something on CVCX. The losing streak was extremely suicidal.
    Thanks for the useful tips!