See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Suppose you're offered the flip of a fair coin, with the following provisions: Heads,

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $100,000

4 7.41%
  • $100,000

6 11.11%
  • $200,000

8 14.81%
  • $300,000

11 20.37%
  • $400,000

9 16.67%
  • $500,000

11 20.37%
  • $600,000

1 1.85%
  • $700,000

0 0%
  • $800,000

0 0%
  • $900,000

2 3.70%
  • You can't buy me off. I'm flipping no matter what.

2 3.70%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A study in certainty equivalent, risk aversion, and utility

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Anonymous or not, the answers for the most part still reflect personal circumstances.
    That's part of the definition of CE - personal circumstances! If it were strictly an EV question, a poll wouldn't have been necessary.

BTW, I meant poll abpve, not pool - typo, too late to correct, since you quoted it :-)

I got that part Three...

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ferenc11; 12-17-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe B View Post
    Strange lack of answers between $500 000 and $900 000
    I did not answer but if I had been forced to answer, I would have rather answered $900,000.
    Keeping futur possibilities by gambling between $0 and $800 000
    Why don't you add your answer? It's anonymous. Besides, you just told us your answer anyway! :-)

Don

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Because people on the site realize that would never be an option so that answer would basically be I would not take any amount that would actually be offered. Apparently wall streeters are more stupid.
    You are really incredibly arrogant and stupid sometimes. IT IS AN OPTION BECAUSE I SAID IT WAS!!!! When you make your fucking poll, you can teach us the right way to do it. And for your information -- not that you asked or cared -- the vast majority of the Wall Street answers were from $500,000 to $1 million. You just don't understand this concept, and I'm done trying to explain it to you. If you can't understand why $600,000 or $700,000 would be an option for some people, maybe you don't know as much about the topic as you profess to.

"Better to remain silent and let people wonder if you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Don

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Why don't you add your answer? It's anonymous.
    Because, I still think about my real answer.
    By responding $900 000, I delay it.

Besides, you just told us your answer anyway! :-)
    I just told an answer about my (no) answer.
    And it's a paradoxal constraint. How to answer that you can't answer ?

Sounds like the wall street friends aren't willing to accept less than EV for the certainty of result. Either they want every last penny or 1 million isn't that much for them. I believe most here would obviously accept an amount between 500k-900k to not flip because it has both a higher EV and CE. It appears many of us are willing to give up some EV to not spin.

Edit: after discussing this with a good friend, I have discovered I was wrong. The ev is not 500k when factoring in the option not to flip. It is greater than 500k.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bubbles; 12-25-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    A Wall Street Investor understands the Rule of 72. So it's no surprise they choose to walk away from $500k to $1m.
    Not the way I read it Moses, they did not walk away from anything. The wall street people were willing to back out of the deal for amounts between 500k and 1 million. We have no idea what offers, or if any offer would be accepted by whomever was paying the money.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You are really incredibly arrogant and stupid sometimes. IT IS AN OPTION BECAUSE I SAID IT WAS!!!! When you make your fucking poll, you can teach us the right way to do it. And for your information -- not that you asked or cared -- the vast majority of the Wall Street answers were from $500,000 to $1 million. You just don't understand this concept, and I'm done trying to explain it to you. If you can't understand why $600,000 or $700,000 would be an option for some people, maybe you don't know as much about the topic as you profess to.

"Better to remain silent and let people wonder if you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Don
    I somehow missed this post. As always, appreciate your subtlety. Why, you’re so subtle, one would think you’re Canadian.

That being said, would you please clarify the differentials between a fuckng poll, and a fucking pole. Same phoenetics, though different meaning.

Seems to me that one is a differentiator of opinion, while the other references a male sexual protrusion. One doesn’t see these grammar references in the written language, North of the 49th.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I somehow missed this post. As always, appreciate your subtlety. Why, you’re so subtle, one would think you’re Canadian.

That being said, would you please clarify the differentials between a fuckng poll, and a fucking pole. Same phoenetics, though different meaning.

Seems to me that one is a differentiator of opinion, while the other references a male sexual protrusion. One doesn’t see these grammar references in the written language, North of the 49th.
    Was it not clear that this was a response to Three and not you?

Don

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Was it not clear that this was a response to Three and not you?

Don
    Of course it was. You really do need to loosen your shorts once in a while, and play along. Eh!

Read it again. It’s tongue in cheek complementary to you.

I think it may also possibly be that you, Freightman, wanted to reference your fucking pole in Don's fucking poll. BTW there is an "i" missing in your first fucking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    I think it may also possibly be that you, Freightman, wanted to reference your fucking pole in Don's fucking poll. BTW there is an "i" missing in your first fucking.
    Freightman wrote:

"I somehow missed this post. As always, appreciate your subtlety. Why, you’re so subtle, one would think you’re Canadian.

Seems to me that one is a differentiator of opinion, while the other references a male sexual protrusion. One doesn’t see these grammar references in the written language, North of the 49th."

Members of the board do tend to ignore the slight off slang that comes from the freightman's post while he sits in his pastry bar. If his crude joke about his pole popped some of your bubbles, Bubbles, we are all sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Members of the board do tend to ignore the slight off slang that comes from the freightman's post while he sits in his pastry bar. If his crude joke about his pole popped some of your bubbles, Bubbles, we are all sorry.
    The mention of the itchy ball one's pole did not pop my bubble. I just wanted to say "fucking," seeing as it is my favourite word, and correct a spelling mistake. I hope this doesn't knock your socks off, BoSOX.

Don, what are we supposed to learn from this poll?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast