See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on 6 decks, splitting 8's and analyzing ...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Advice on 6 decks, splitting 8's and analyzing ...

Its a 6 deck H17 game, 1.2 deck cut off, count is TC+2, you are playing with a ploppy at first base and playing 2 hands. About 3 decks have been played. You have a bet of $100 on each hand. Dealer has a 10 showing, ploppy at first base has a 19 (10,9). Your first hand has a pair of 8's, the second has a 9,7. You split your 8's, get a 9 on the first 8, another 8 on the second hand. You split again, get a 10 on the first 8 and yet another 8 on the second. If you need to split, you have to reach in and cash another $100. Would you split?

How does your decision making go in such a situation? Do you split your 8's against a 10 on a positive count? Would you do another split if you received another 8? Does your bet amount make a difference?

I am trying to get a handle on the decision making process.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I always split aces and eight regardless of count. Reaching for more money doesnt determine my play.

The information is really available in any basic blackjack book. You can look it up and if then you come up with additional insights worth discussing, make a post about. Then, everyone learns something new instead of rehashing basic strategy.

You forgot to mention if surrender us available. If it is, you fucked up at the start. If no surrender is available, then, as difficult as this may be, reach into your wallet pocket and pull out money and make that last split. You constantly ask for advice as to WHEATHER or not you should make the proper play based on the size if your bet. Size might matter, but not in this case.

Asking questions like this should preclude you from giving advice to ploppies WHEATHER or not they should get a rating card.

Although it sounds somewhat Zee-like, if the day is going poorly, there are times I use the RA index for not splitting 8s v T, to preserve triproll. As we all (but one of us) have a BJ library with reference materials for this, I'll leave it to those interested to look up the number.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Although it sounds somewhat Zee-like, if the day is going poorly, there are times I use the RA index for not splitting 8s v T, to preserve triproll. As we all (but one of us) have a BJ library with reference materials for this, I'll leave it to those interested to look up the number.
    It's highesh - higher than true 2 as stated in his OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    It's highesh - higher than true 2 as stated in his OP.
    Correct. It wouldn't have applied in the OP's example. My post was for general forum edification. I'm done giving him advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Its a 6 deck H17 game, 1.2 deck cut off, count is TC+2, you are playing with a ploppy at first base and playing 2 hands. About 3 decks have been played. You have a bet of $100 on each hand. Dealer has a 10 showing, ploppy at first base has a 19 (10,9). Your first hand has a pair of 8's, the second has a 9,7. You split your 8's, get a 9 on the first 8, another 8 on the second hand. You split again, get a 10 on the first 8 and yet another 8 on the second. If you need to split, you have to reach in and cash another $100. Would you split?
    Yes.
    How does your decision making go in such a situation?
    I follow the game plan I set based on sim information. I may consider risk aversion but in this situation that would mean you are way over betting your BR.
    Do you split your 8's against a 10 on a positive count?
    The index is quite positive so unless the index is exceeded or very close I either split or surrender in positive counts. Surrender takes hierarchy over standing and the sand index is quite positive.
    Would you do another split if you received another 8?
    Follow the index play.
    Does your bet amount make a difference?
    Only if you are over betting your BR,which I don't. So, for me, no.
    I am trying to get a handle on the decision making process.
    It's simple. Follow the highest EV strategy. That is what indices are for. If at or on the cusp of the index you can do what you want because there isn't much EV difference anyway. If you can't follow the indices because of your bet size you are over betting.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    If no surrender is available, then, as difficult as this may be, reach into your wallet pocket and pull out money and make that last split. You constantly ask for advice as to WHEATHER or not you should make the proper play based on the size if your bet. Size might matter, but not in this case.
    Freightman, ordinarily, I would agree with you on the advice, but you are talking to Zee here who lacks plenty on knowledge of money management principals, as well as the concept of variance. If by chance he pulls out that extra hundred out of his pocket and everything goes down to the dealers twenty he is liable to go home and yell at the wife and kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Yes.
    I follow the game plan I set based on sim information. I may consider risk aversion but in this situation that would mean you are way over betting your BR.
    The index is quite positive so unless the index is exceeded or very close I either split or surrender in positive counts. Surrender takes hierarchy over standing and the sand index is quite positive.
    Follow the index play.
    Only if you are over betting your BR,which I don't. So, for me, no.
    It's simple. Follow the highest EV strategy. That is what indices are for. If at or on the cusp of the index you can do what you want because there isn't much EV difference anyway. If you can't follow the indices because of your bet size you are over betting.
    Thanks T3. I did not know the EV strategy for subsequent splits (whether it changes), whether the cards showing or being played has an effect and such. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Thanks, 21forme. Its really not just what is in the books but also session bankroll, trip bankroll, live to fight another shoe and such.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Thanks T3. I did not know the EV strategy for subsequent splits (whether it changes), whether the cards showing or being played has an effect and such. Thanks.
    The answer to any question on how to play a hand when counting boils down to "follow the index, unless it will bring you heat" and "if you don't know the index, use basic strategy". With this knowledge now under your belt, you never need to ask the forum again about how to play a hand.

EV maximizing indices tell you what play has the highest EV by the index.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast