See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Double on a soft 19

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Same thing. It's labeled "advantage." It's the percentage advantage you have each way, making the two plays. Win/lose by unit bet is equivalent.
    Don
    What I said is that the scale is not from 0 to 0.8% but 0 to 0.5 (i.e 0 to 80%) !
    Look at
    ScreenShot12032.jpg

Surrender obviously lose 50%
    Play lose around 50%

And Norm, why do you have included A8vs6 in REKO if it don't worth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    What difference does BS make if you are going to make your decision based on the count. That was my point. Remembering BS is just an extra step to getting to your playing decision.
    3, just think for a minute.
    Basic implies a play. If an index is not applicable, then basic is your play. It is still based on the count. If an index applies, it applies because there is a distance from basic, and thus, the maximizing play is a departure from basic.

Think not about what you do. Nobody gives a shit. .Think what the masses do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Think not about what you do. Nobody gives a shit. .Think what the masses do.
    Freightman, you need to think about to whom you responded.

In a recent thread Three wrote:

"More like people trying to start a fight with me. Believe it or not I can piss some people off really bad when I want to and sometimes without even trying. It is part of training them to play at other tables."

The man was willing to take on a biker gang. He obviously possesses other skills, that he likely learned as a young boy, who went by the name grasshopper, and later became A Shaolin Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    A Shaolin Priest
    Don't be silly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOywn1qArI

3, just think for a minute.
    Basic implies a play. If an index is not applicable, then basic is your play. It is still based on the count. If an index applies, it applies because there is a distance from basic, and thus, the maximizing play is a departure from basic.
    Just think about how much it took to explain above. Simple. You have an index number for the stand/double decision. If the TC is less than that index you stand. If not you double. You don't need to know what BS is or what is a deviation from it.
    Think what the masses do.
    I try not to. It just makes me feel sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    The man was willing to take on a biker gang. He obviously possesses other skills, that he likely learned as a young boy, who went by the name grasshopper, and later became A Shaolin Priest.
    Nope. I had a hot headed brother who I had to subdue constantly my entire life. I never hurt him I just made him submit. I had to protect others and when necessary back him up when he had too many coming after him. He would just beat the one guy that pissed him off into a bloody pulp and I would have to deal with the rest. I remember him coming home covered in blood because I wasn't there to control his rage. We thought we needed to call an ambulance because he was bleeding so badly but he wasn't bleeding at all. It was all the other guys' blood. 20 years of all day training to force an enraged adrenaline driven hot head to submit by physical force that didn't impart injury. He was at least my physical equal without the adrenaline rush pumping up his strength. I had to be smart about how to use his own actions to get control of him 24/7 365 for 20 years. Many times he would submit and when I released him he just came right back at me with everything he had. Usually after the third time he would give up. You got to give him credit for tenacity. He never once managed to hurt me but would always go again at the drop of a hat. It amazes me that he just wiped the floor with everyone else. It was so easy for me to physically control him. Just be smart about using his momentum and leverage to advantage to get him in a submission hold. After those decades of training I never had an issue dealing with anyone. I was never intimidated and just took care of business if I had no other choice. The thug types could see I was big and powerful and could tell I wasn't intimidated at all. For most that meant I didn't have to do anything but some just demanded to be taught a lesson in humility. If I was given no other option I was happy to oblige them.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Just think about how much it took to explain above. Simple. You have an index number for the stand/double decision. If the TC is less than that index you stand. If not you double. You don't need to know what BS is or what is a deviation from it.

I try not to. It just makes me feel sick.
    Nope. I had a hot headed brother who I had to subdue constantly my entire life. I never hurt him I just made him submit. I had to protect others and when necessary back him up when he had too many coming after him. He would just beat the one guy that pissed him off into a bloody pulp and I would have to deal with the rest. I remember him coming home covered in blood because I wasn't there to control his rage. We thought we needed to call an ambulance because he was bleeding so badly but he wasn't bleeding at all. It was all the other guys' blood. 20 years of all day training to force an enraged adrenaline driven hot head to submit by physical force that didn't impart injury. He was at least my physical equal without the adrenaline rush pumping up his strength. I had to be smart about how to use his own actions to get control of him 24/7 365 for 20 years. Many times he would submit and when I released him he just came right back at me with everything he had. Usually after the third time he would give up. You got to give him credit for tenacity. He never once managed to hurt me but would always go again at the drop of a hat. It amazes me that he just wiped the floor with everyone else. It was so easy for me to physically control him. Just be smart about using his momentum and leverage to advantage to get him in a submission hold. After those decades of training I never had an issue dealing with anyone. I was never intimidated and just took care of business if I had no other choice. The thug types could see I was big and powerful and could tell I wasn't intimidated at all. For most that meant I didn't have to do anything but some just demanded to be taught a lesson in humility. If I was given no other option I was happy to oblige them.
    Hopeless

No comment, favoring Freight's suggestion or not? Note that, at TC = +10, the advantage for doubling over standing is 0.19% If you have a $100 bet out, you make an extra 20 cents by doubling! And that's at TC = +10, which you almost never see in a shoe game. Take it down to an attainable TC of, say, +3, and the difference is only 0.06%. I'll give you the nickel every 100 or so hours!!
    Bad scale.
    Not cents but dollars !
    As confirmed by Norm : https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post235985

Meanwhile, the hand occurs 92 times out of 100,000, which means that, at 100 hands per hour, you see this hand (at all counts) once every 11 hours. Don
    I agree with this part.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe B View Post
    Bad scale.
    Not cents but dollars !
    As confirmed by Norm : https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post235985
    Right. Now worth $5 every 100 hours, or five cents an hour! :-) Don't you feel much better? :-)

Don

I agree with this part.

Quote Originally Posted by radio1324 View Post
    Somebody tell if I'm wrong here. I would think that the dealers know basic strategy
    Definitely wrong. Rarely does anybody know 100% of the basic strategy on either side of the table. Some dealers suggest the wrong play intentionally (like never surrender). If you are like most counters (light or no tips) then the dealer has incentive to get rid of you and replace you with a paying customer. I like it when the situation you described occurs, because other players may leave and the game speeds up. Especially when the TC is +3.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234