See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double on a soft 19

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Double on a soft 19

6 deck, H17, DAD, no surrender. I was playing today 3rd base 4 other people at the table TC +3. I drew a soft 19 against the dealers 6. I doubled down and got the evil eye from the dealer and caught hell from all the other players. I drew a 10 for a hard 19 dealer drew out to 21 table lost. The dealer said you just screwed everybody taking my bust card. According to the basic strategy I learned for this game rules I did the right thing. Somebody tell if I'm wrong here. I would think that the dealers know basic strategy

Sorry DAS not DAD

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You did the right thing. Most dealers don’t know basic strategy. Ploppies only remember the times you hurt them but never the times you help them.

Last but certainly not least, you’re not responsible for other peoples’ money at the table. They can moan and groan all they want but I’m gonna double those soft 19s when i should.

The next hand laid out 2 blackjack and a win on a 3 card side bet. I made sure to tell em that wouldn't have happened if I didn't make "stupid" move last round. Lol. More evil looks

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by radio1324 View Post
    The dealer said you just screwed everybody taking my bust card.
    Your response: "And you just screwed yourself out of any tip I may have given you. Shut up and deal."

Your right that should have been my response

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    There's Old basic, and new basic. Old basic says to stand. New basic says to double. What to do?

Certain plays, basic or not, will make you stand out. Doubling soft 19 v 6 is one if them. Fwiw, I wouldn't double right at index. I would view the long term gain for doubling at index to be of low benefit over the scheme of a career. If you're going to double, wait fir a true count which will capture most of the EV available. In other words, make it a risk averse double.

As for big mouth dealers and complaining table mates, there's a huge bank of responses to deal with those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Your response: "And you just screwed yourself out of any tip I may have given you. Shut up and deal."
    You aren't Miss Congeniality, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    You aren't Miss Congeniality, are you?
    You're right. I've met 21forme. He's Mr. Congeniality..

ScreenShot12027.jpg

No comment.

No comment, favoring Freight's suggestion or not? Note that, at TC = +10, the advantage for doubling over standing is 0.19% If you have a $100 bet out, you make an extra 20 cents by doubling! And that's at TC = +10, which you almost never see in a shoe game. Take it down to an attainable TC of, say, +3, and the difference is only 0.06%. I'll give you the nickel every 100 or so hours!!

Meanwhile, the hand occurs 92 times out of 100,000, which means that, at 100 hands per hour, you see this hand (at all counts) once every 11 hours. It is BS to double (and the Hi-Lo index happens to be 0), which means that, in the final analysis, it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what the hell you do with the hand.

Don

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Folks, the OP said "6 decks, HIT SOFT 17..."

Doubling A,8 vs 6 is THE CORRECT BASIC STRATEGY!

Piss on what others at the table think.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    No comment, favoring Freight's suggestion or not? Note that, at TC = +10, the advantage for doubling over standing is 0.19% If you have a $100 bet out, you make an extra 20 cents by doubling! And that's at TC = +10, which you almost never see in a shoe game. Take it down to an attainable TC of, say, +3, and the difference is only 0.06%. I'll give you the nickel every 100 or so hours!!
    Si vous le dites, je ne peux que le croire.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast