See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Are You a Millionaire?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm a Millionaire

17 40.48%
  • No, I'm Not a Millionaire

25 59.52%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Millionaire?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Sounds like me. If I could put a present value on my remaining pension annuity and come up with a value of what my house is worth I might just be a millionaire. The good news is my net worth went up over $70,000 from last Dec thanks to a run away stock market, good blackjack year, and bad estimating on my 2016 income tax liability which resulted in over a $10,000 tax refund.
    Only 1 problem. Your pension may well have a present value, but it's not yours. It's a product, which you have purchased in exchange for monthly payment, either for the rest of your life, payable to death if the survivor, or in the event if premature death, possibly for some guaranteed period.

If you want to realize the discounted value if the annuity (I still remember the commercia), call JG Wentworth 1-877-cash now.

https://youtu.be/pdPM6j1Q4sg

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    My Dad used to meet all his buddies every morning at the Happy Chef. Every once in awhile Id fly in and surprise him.

One time I held the open the door open for him. He walked through, nodded a hello, and said thanks. Then he turns around and says "hey, what the hell are you doing here." The waitress knew all their usuals.

My wife and I had the same experience last night. When we reached the cash register the lady says, I know what the order is going to be, two quarter pounders with cheese plain, and I know you already have the exact change.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    If you procrastinate, by the time you get to shoveling the snow is gone.
    Not where MWP lives :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Someone has to do it. I volunteered for this dangerous mission, earning the princely sum of 60 minutes per hour.
    They don't use metric time in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    The procrastinators cancelled their convention. The guy in charge of sending out the invitations never got around to it.

They don't use metric time in Canada?
    What the hell is metric time?

Nobody uses it in the real world.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time

That depends on how long you procrastinate. I have been known to procastinate for months or even years if the task is unpleasant. I often think I need to do something but never seem to take the time to do it if I really don't like doing it.

Around here snow is usually gone in a couple days or maybe a week. One year we got a dusting of snow on Thanksgiving and it was still in the shady areas at Christmas. That was a brutal cold December. Normally the ground's surface rarely freezes before January and thaws every day. Our flat drive way holds show a while but it is flat so shoveling isn't usually a high priority. The sloping driveway is south facing and melts quickly. When snow is measured in feet rather than inches shoveling becomes necessary. That happens maybe once every 3 years or so.

Just be glad we didn't live 250 years ago during the end of the mini-ice age. The building all were built with doors on the second floor that open that opened to nothing for when the snow was deeper than 1 story deep. The roofs all had boars that stood on end near the drippily to hold snow on the roof for the insulation value of the snow in cold weather. They didn't wear all those layers in Elizabethan clothing for fashion. It was freaking freezing and they needed the layers to stay warm. The one given is we are way overdue to be in a 100,000+ year glaciation. 40,000+ years into an expected 20,000 year warm spell. 20,000 years of warm climate between 120,000 year glacial periods is the Earth's natural cycle. I don't buy into this global warming stuff but if it does exist it may be why we aren't standing of a growing glacier on a snowball Earth right now.

@Three: I recently came across an interesting Twitter account about the climate subject. You should check it out: https://twitter.com/ClimateRealists

The last mini ICE age apparently only happened ~12000 years ago. Sacredgeometry.com has very intersting information on this.

The-Younger-Dryas-1024x763.jpg

Below is the historic Earth temperatures according to the two best scientific models which clearly show a repeating pattern of glaciation with very short on geologic scale warn spells. In the last half million years the Earth would not e able to support the current life on the planet as it was mostly an ice ball. Only on rare and predictably intermittent cases is the Earth the nice warm planet we know that can support farming and life over most of the planet. The dark ages was a time of a little ice ages with global crop failure and plague and famine. After their crops failed roving mobs of starving people tried to raid and take what they could from anyone that had anything. It was during this time that castles were built with defensive abilities to help fend of the marauders. We called the period the Dark Ages. screen-shot-2015-05-23-at-14-08-29.jpg

The one thing you can be sure will happen, unless global warming saves us, is that we are on the verge of an ice age that makes the Earth's carrying capacity plummet causing the population of life on the planet to be decimated. It is hard to alter the Earth's natural cycles. The temperature cycle is 20,000 plus or minus years of warm temperatures that homosapiens are adapted to followed by about 120,000 years of a snowball Earth in a long and brutal ice age. While this interglacial period never got as warm as the previous ones it has been steadier for a longer time than the rest of them. Some were just brief spikes in temperature of brief duration on a geologic scale.
    Last edited by Three; 12-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.

At double up, I am against pollution and unbalancing the Earth natural state but they don't call it global warming anymore. When I grew up they talked about global cooling. The last few decades global warming was the trend as data didn't fit global cooling anymore. Now the Earth seems to be cooling again and they call it climate change. It is like the new player talking about his short term results. The data is meaningless short run noise. In the long run the warm period we enjoy will end shortly in geologic terms and a much longer glaciation of the Earth will begin. That is like the experienced player telling him that short term results are just variance or noise that has nothing to do with the long run. Anything can happen in the short run. 12,000 years is a a hair more than 1 tick on the scale above on the 0 degree celsius line. On a geologic scale the temperature is steady and fluctuating as it has through this entire warm period. This steady mild fluctuation is anomalous with the Earth's temperature history during other warm spells. We should be grateful we live during this temperature spike between glacial periods.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Where do you guys get all these ancient weather stats? Truth of the matter is that the US has been keeping accurate baseball statistics longer than weather statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    Where do you guys get all these ancient weather stats? Truth of the matter is that the US has been keeping accurate baseball statistics longer than weather statistics.
    They are made up by people with an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    They are made up by people with an agenda.
    Wow, I finally agree with something you said.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast