See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Are You a Millionaire?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm a Millionaire

17 40.48%
  • No, I'm Not a Millionaire

25 59.52%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You a Millionaire?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Are You a Millionaire?

I just recently seen on the news that now 1 in 20 Americans are millionaires. I'm just wondering how the blackjack community compares with the national average. There is a good chance the person sitting next to you at the blackjack table is a millionaire.

In deciding if you are a millionaire include the equity in your home and cars in you net worth along with other investments.

My feeling is this poll will show less than the national average of millionaires simply because so many folks here are young and you need time to build wealth and generally need to be fairly old to receive an inheritance. If this same question was posted over at BJ21 I'm guessing the results would be quite different.

PS. I'm not a millionaire, and doubt if I will ever be one. However, if I took my pension as a lump sum amount instead of an annuity I would have been close. Then the 2008 stock market crashed.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 11-18-2017 at 11:07 PM.

I think people have a tendency to think a million+ net worth is more than it really is. It wouldn't have surprised me if the number was (were?) higher than 1 in 20.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Millionaires may play blackjack but blackjack players are not going to be millionaires playing blackjack.

This number can be skewed based on your region where you live. For example, a 1600 sq ft house in CA may be valued at 600K but in OK it's 200K. There's a big difference there. So if that national poll included real estate, many in NY, MA, CA and other states with high real estate would easily fall in the 1 Million+ category.

Then there are salaries. A computer person in San Francisco will make a lot more than one in Iowa. So the person in SF would have more base money overall, but the expenses in SF are much greater too. So would that really wash?

I wonder how many that claimed to be millionaires can stay in that category with just assets excluding their primary home/mortgage. And still a COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) value might have to be applied.

So I guess it's all relative.

Still, a million is a lot of dough...

Quote Originally Posted by VABJ View Post
    Still, a million is a lot of dough...
    Not anymore.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    many, many people here will not want to answer that question.

it's just too personal even for people who just use an internet alias.

there are certain questions that are just not proper to ask people.

your question is one of them.
    Plus one!

Fair enough comment - though the sampling is small, the ratio is interesting. Interesting comments were also made in regards value of ones home, which would vary significantly depending on area. Another comment implied was ones salary versus the cost of living.

Wealth is subjective. I moved into my house 26 years ago. It was a desirable area for us, and still is. It was one of the smaller houses in a nice neighbourhood, and it was the best I could do. Kids are long gone, and it's more than big enough now. It was paid off years ago.

Now, just because a guy has millionaire status doesn't guarantee that they have any money. Some of these individuals depend on a "house of cards" scenario. They require that the machine stays at high pace, in order to keep it fed. When the machine slows down, the vultures start to circle.

I, for one, at this stage, prefer a trouble free scenario. Most if my money is tied up in cash (cash equivalents).

So, the question, taking regional disparities out if the equation.

What is your net worth excluding your principal residence. If still in business, can you survive a protracted downswing (much like a 300 hour losing streak). What is your monthly nut - mortgage costs, car insurance costs, medical costs etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are pretty smart guys out there, who haven't earned a lot of money, and yet, have built substantial net WORTH's, with happy lives to boot.

Disagree with this. Yes, its a personal question, but the poll does not reveal your identity or your handle. Polls on this site can be set to reveal handle or not, and since its a very personal question I choose the option not to reveal one's handle.

Okay, I suppose Norm could go in the system and change the setting somehow, but I trust him that he wouldn't do that. I'm also disappointed so few folks have responded to the poll, yet they still have viewed its results.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Im curious. How does such a question even enter your mind? Maybe next poll should be how many times does a blackjack player get laid a year?
    So, Nu?

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Maybe next poll should be how many times does a blackjack player get laid a year?
    How do you think so many got to be millionaires?

Lost one and only in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Millionaires may play blackjack but blackjack players are not going to be millionaires playing blackjack.
    Now here is some real wisdom!

Let me elaborate.

So you mean that if I am a millionaire I will not be one if I keep playing blackjack?

Or do you mean I can not become a millionaire playing blackjack?

Or both?

What voodoo knowledge is this based on?
    Last edited by Stealth; 11-19-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I just recently seen on the news that now 1 in 20 Americans are millionaires.
    Most people's assets are tied with real estate. Right now the house market as well as stock market are both extremely overvalued. It could be 1 in 50 when a depression comes. For me, yes now because I park most my money on houses.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast