See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spread to Two Hands at TC+5: got 11 and 12 against 7

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Try just betting all the chips as a desperate "all in" bet. Looks natural when you lose a few hands in a row, act like you are steaming. Don't get carried away with it betting 2x your max but a few extra units should be fine. This allows you to get more money on the table when you have the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Good points from JimmyBond and T3. I am just explaining the psychological issues with it. We are all human and having a good day does wonders for the evening and the next while returning home having lost feels terrible. So I make these concessions which I agree are WRONG. I am simply admitting my mistakes and sharing the reasons for it. I have not yet overcome these issues. Maybe I will.

When you guys point out how wrong it is, next time, hopefully, I will go for it. Its just the last shoe, the one before I am going back home is where I do these things. Thanks for the pointers. Its why I love this forum. I can admit or share my play and get quick, sometimes nasty, feedback and it helps me for the next time.

Another error I will admit is say the count is TC+3, I place a $125 bet, have only $50 in chips in front of me. I lose that $125 bet, count remains at TC+3 or even go higher but rather than cash for more money (and perhaps attract heat), I just place the chips I have in front of me for the next bet. So I place $50 (instead of the $125). I win, it and I place the $100 (basically I am underbetting). I probably do this because the act of reaching for my wallet means I might lose more and hoping I can "recover" without cashing any more money.
    I hate that awkward moment when you have chips in front of you, but not nearly as much as you'd like to bet. When the bet I'm about to make puts my remaining chips in an awkward position, I do one of three things:
    1. Slightly under bet and put half my chips in the circle. I do this if I'm just short a chip or two and don't want pit attention for another buy in.
    2. Slightly over bet and shove them all out. I do this if option 1 is too much of an under bet.
    3. Bet correctly and palm the remainder so the pit won't see it if I rebuy. If it's a higher denomination and needs pit attention to break it down, but it's also not enough to cover my next bet, I do this.

If I end up with an awkward amount of chips anyway, I just shove them all forward and contemplate what buy in amount I might consider in the future to avoid this happening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    To all the newbies on the forum - if you think like this, you should not be playing. If you do play, you are a compulsive gambler and NOT an AP. Advantage play is 100% playing by the numbers. Hunches and short term results mean absolute nothing.
    21forme, its a process people go through as they go from being a newbie to an intermediate to a good AP. As you start playing, you begin to come to terms with your fears. I doubt there are many AP's who at one time or another balked at certain decisions faced at a BJ table. Instead of saying "you should not be playing", a more positive advice would be that there are times when these sort of tough decisions (Do I go home a guaranteed winner or do I risk going for more and perhaps get depressed after a loss?) are faced by AP's and to not worry about a short term or session loss.

I doubt there are many AP's who at one time or another balked at certain decisions faced at a BJ table.
    I always followed the math. That is where your advantage comes from. If you don't understand that you shouldn't be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I always followed the math. That is where your advantage comes from. If you don't understand that you shouldn't be playing.
    You always followed the math but you are unique. I was referring to mortals, those of us who make mistakes and sometimes learn from them at varying speeds.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    The point is if you can't understand your advantage is totally derived from following the math you shouldn't be playing. If you understand that you will follow the math.

Sometimes, especially when playing with just I-18 plus a few and you do not know the index, you go with your instinct and it's okay. There are many many times when we don't go with index for cover purpose (eg. Always standing at 16 vs 10 or stAnd on 12 against a 6 in negative count, not splitting 10's, etc.) So let's not make a big deal about this one.
    For cover?

I think we all, at times, make cover plays. For example, I only split 10s in unique venues, although I know the deviation point.

But at a TC5, that's max bet. Nobody makes cover plays at max bet! If I'm heads up in a DD game and the count tanks, I may make some cheap cover moves as I kill the shoe. But at max bet? No sir.

I "bucket bet" for lack of a better term. There's one game where at TC0, I bet anywhere from $25 - $50 and ramp from there. A helpful dealer pointed out that I won every second hand of the shoe. Cheap cover--I was going to bet $50 anyway, but I started with $25 for the first hand, and even sat out the first hand once in a while. The second hand, though, was $50. THAT is a good cover play. I didn't deviate from my ramp by a cent, and yet my behavior looks like a superstitious degenerate.

If you want to trust your instincts, be my guest. But understand that you're gambling, not being an AP.

21forme, its a process people go through as they go from being a newbie to an intermediate to a good AP. As you start playing, you begin to come to terms with your fears. I doubt there are many AP's who at one time or another balked at certain decisions faced at a BJ table. Instead of saying "you should not be playing", a more positive advice would be that there are times when these sort of tough decisions (Do I go home a guaranteed winner or do I risk going for more and perhaps get depressed after a loss?) are faced by AP's and to not worry about a short term or session loss.
    You’ve been playing for how many years and you still can’t get over these psychological barriers?! I don’t understand... it’s not as if you’re under-bankrolled. That means you either have too much gamble in you, and/or you don’t trust/understand the math. If you have not been able to conquer these mental roadblocks by now, then I don’t think you ever will.

Maybe it’s time to find another hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    You’ve been playing for how many years and you still can’t get over these psychological barriers?! I don’t understand... it’s not as if you’re under-bankrolled. That means you either have too much gamble in you, and/or you don’t trust/understand the math. If you have not been able to conquer these mental roadblocks by now, then I don’t think you ever will.

Maybe it’s time to find another hobby?
    Easy Ryemo, I was admitting that ONLY in the last round of the last shoe of a trip, I might make a decision for psychological goals rather than a money goal. If the goal is money, than I go with the math and do the double and if the goal is psychological health than I also go with the math and take a certainty (going home a winner) over additional money. Sitting on a plane or in a car after a day or two or more away from home, there is a price one pays for the joy of going home feeling good.

Ryemo, in a parlance several members will understand without looking up, the above is referred to as a goyishe kopf.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Ryemo, in a parlance several members will understand without looking up, the above is referred to as a goyishe kopf.
    https://www.dailywritingtips.com/the...u-should-know/

See number 9 for first (extended) syllable, word.
    Kopf is not in the list, but refers to that part of the anatomy above the shoulders.

Jewish slang is very economical and brief, and right to the point.

I was planning a trip this weekend, but I had to cancel because if the flu, and I don't want to play when unwell. The schmendricks got lucky. It would have been like gribness from a mohel.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    schmendricks
    For the first time in my 60 years, you have me question how my mom ended up with dozens of yiddish words and phrases in her vocabulary. She grew up a Presbyterian in rural Vermont. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeBJ View Post
    For the first time in my 60 years, you have me question how my mom ended up with dozens of yiddish words and phrases in her vocabulary. She grew up a Presbyterian in rural Vermont. Go figure.
    Oy! A Yiddishe Momma, and you never knew.
    Have you checked your identification?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast