Thread: Dravot's Color of Blackjack Index versus REKO Index 6 Deck

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Dravot's Color of Blackjack Index versus REKO Index 6 Deck

I play 6 deck blackjack. I set my initial running count to 0.

I use REKO and my index number for play changes becomes 22 after the IRC adjustment.

Dravot uses 24 as the index number, however.

I was wondering why there is a difference between Dravot and REKO's index number. Is one more accurate than the other?

Thank you.

Blog Entries

REKO uses compromise indices. All indices are the same.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I'm bringing this back from the dead. I just finished reading Color of Blackjack, and I had the same question as the OP. Norm, would you mind to elaborate a bit more?

I understand that all indices are the same with REKO, but I don't understand why Color of Blackjack differs. It uses the same indices for all deviations too, except that deviations are made at +24 instead of +22 (using IRC of 0 on 6D). Which one produces a better SCORE? Another exception is that 16v10 is made at the "warm line" regardless of the RC, but I don't need any further explanation on that part.

Blog Entries

COB is quite different. It is a method of getting some of the advantage of true counting without exactly true counting. Variations exist based on current depth; just without divides. It does not provide the results of TKO, actual true counted KO. KO, COB, and REKO all use compromise indices.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

In COB, the only deviation that varies based on current depth is 16v10. All the other deviations simply occur at +24, whereas they'd occur at +22 as specified by REKO.

Blog Entries

These are compromise indices. How many exist and what hands they are makes a difference. REKO is correct for the way REKO is structured. COB may also be based on how it is structured.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'll ask the community for some anecdotal information. Has anyone here applied some of the principles from COB to their REKO game? If so, do you follow Modern Blackjack's recommendation for index plays or COB's?

What does the "compromise" in "compromise indices" mean? Is there something inherently worse about compromise indices?

Blog Entries

Compromise indices are designed to be easier to remember and are thus less accurate.