See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy In

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Buy In

Hello. When you first sit down at the table, how much do you buy in for?

I'm a small stakes player. I prefer a $5 table. I play DD. I spread 1 - 8. I buy in $100. Is that too small? I'd rather look like a chump chasing a win and pull into wallet my wallet for another $100 than buy in too big only to play $5/hand.

Thoughts?

I think $100 is a perfect amount to buy-in for a $5 table.

If you play this place regularly, just keep a chip inventory. Walk with the chips, then they are ready for next time without any buy in.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Good advice from 21forme. When I used to play locally, I would keep a pretty large chip inventory, which helped me enter/exit tables unnoticed and avoid the scrutiny of large buy-ins.

Agreeing with the others about a chip inventory. Also, I'd recommend short buying. Buy in for $60 or $80 with 20's. When PB's see buy in's under $100 and with $20's, they immediately just put you on the "not a threat" list... Which helps you to be able to camp out for hours on end at these low limit games. Especially if you're playing mostly DD, you need to consider what you can do with every aspect of your play (such as buying in) to help your table image.
    Don't think you have a winning game; know you have a winning game.

Banned or Suspended

+1 for posts #3, #4, and #5

Additionally, one must note
    that the 'cage' has the best
    cameras.

Very helpful information. Thanks much.

Out of curiosity, those that play green and black, how much do you buy in for? Enough to cover 2, 3, 4 Max bets?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If you're playing off the top, so $25 min, I'd buy in for like $200, again with $20's if you could. Can always pull the chips out of your pocket (from your inventory) or buy more if needed. Until that time, let the PB think you're only gonna be there for 15 min.
    Don't think you have a winning game; know you have a winning game.

Banned or Suspended

Cutting to the chase . . .

A big buy-in draws unwanted attention.

It presents a threat.

Drawing out money for multiple buy-ins

creates a picture of a ploppy / loser who

is "playing with scared money." Perfect!

8-10 units (minimum bets) is just about right.

$25 game: I suggest $200 (
    in twenties or fifties)

$100 game: I suggest $700 - $800.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

+1 for posts #3, #4, and #5

Additionally, one must note
    that the 'cage' has the best
    cameras.
    Hardly the case any more unless it is some small dump then maybe it is true. Nowadays we need to really honed our skills in every aspect, from buy in to cover play to mixing in non counting (advanced ?) techniques .

Another option is to buy in at a game you don't intend to play, like craps. Over buy, then carry your chips to BJ.

Some people suggest having a chip inventory. Any issues with going to the cage BEFORE going to the tables and buying a quantity of chips?

generally the cage does not sell chips

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast