Thread: Video poker bankroll

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Video poker bankroll

I have a place where if i deposit 2k they match me with 3k, then i need to coin in 450k in order to cash out

Machine pay back 99.78%
    (8/5 As & 8s)

How do i calculate the chance of me going broke (losing all 5k) before completing my needed 450k coin in?

$0.50 credits vs $1 credits vs $5 credits
    May the Variance be with you.

VP results do not follow bell shaped normal distributions very well, so blackjack type calculations are not as accurate as what's described in this article.

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/VPRoR.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    That costs money lol

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    That costs money lol
    Give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish. If you're finding interesting stuff as often as you ask the questions, simple tools should pay for themselves and save you time.

just based off experience, the likelihood of getting down $5k playing 90k hands of $1 VP is very high.

Such offers exist offline? That sounds excellent.

Your best bet might be to try to raise your balance on Aces & Eights and then consider grinding out the wagering requirement on Jacks or Better or any other game with less variance. I would play this with $25 hands. Anything less would take years and there would still be a chance to loose it all. 2k +EV for wagering 450k is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by double up View Post
    2k +EV for wagering 450k is great though.
    I'd say less than half a per cent +EV before accounting for any playing errors is marginal not great. At $25/hand, it will take a few days, EV is less than $100/hr. with perfect play (realistically closer to $50/hr. with considerable variance). Playing JOB will cut EV in half -- you are getting close to burger flipping EV with high variance.

Do they have games with much higher variance or incredibly low variance? Very low variance game requires high return, whereas the high variance game doesn't need a great return.

I haven't done the math, but intuitively, I think it likely has a greater than 2% edge (not the 0.4466% edge you may think it is) playing the $5 A's n 8's. I wouldn't be surprised if the edge was actually significantly higher than that. Perhaps I'll try to sim it sometime. Granted, the value is still $2,010 (I think?). Edit 1: No, value is not $2,010.

EDIT 2: Just did the math on this on a different game (easier math) with some VP mixed in. Of course, they probably don't allow such high limits (but if they did...), I came up with a value of $2,632 and an advantage of 15.75%. The HE on this game is monstrous compared to the 0.22% on A's n 8's.

EDIT 3: I actually may be interested in playing this. Send me an e-mail, [email protected] (it's a dummy e-mail, folks), and I can help you find a better way to play it. EDIT: "better" than the way you're probably thinking of playing it....not "better" than the example on edit#2 (although it may certainly be possible).
    Last edited by RS; 10-22-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

RS, emailed you