Thread: Beginner question about rules in BJ

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Beginner question about rules in BJ

Hi

i apologize in advance if this has been asked before and if there is any good links please show me where, and read up on them.

But when googling in general about BJ rules there seem be a general consensus about the general rules but im wondering about some of the edge cases and scenarios that can come up and how these are handled.

All scenarios below are when playing one-on-one against a dealer.

1. I have seen on the first deal of cards dealers that draw one card face down and one up, but in some places the dealer only deals himself a single card facing up during the first draw. What is most regular because this changes the beginning of the game quite drastically with the dealer not being able to know if he/she has blackjack after the first deal.

2. Dealer has an ace after the first deal. Player has BlackJack after first deal. Dealer looks at his second card and sees that he doesn't have Blackjack does the dealer end the game there and then and pay out the winnings or does he/she ask for insurances and do the insurance bit and flip the card for the player to show that the dealer doesn't have BJ?

3. Does dealer only ask for insurances if he/she has an ace after the first deal of cards has ended?

4. Player manages to play himself to a soft 21 does he get winnings payed directly or does he have to wait until the dealer has played his hand?, what happens if dealer also plays himself to a soft 21? draw?

5. Player plays himself to 21, dealers first card is a 10, and the first card the dealer draws is an ace, does hard 21 beat soft 21? or draw?

These are some of my beginner questions

1. If the dealer doesn't have a "hole card" there is a different basic strategy. I don't play that game, so I'm not the person to ask about it.
    2 and 3. If the dealer has an ace up, he/she will offer insurance BEFORE checking for blackjack. If you also have a BJ, you may request "even money" which means you get paid your bet, but not the customary 3:2. If you don't have a BJ, you can accept the insurance offer. Insurance costs .5 your bet, and pays 2:1 so if the dealer DOES have a BJ, your bet is protected.
    It goes like this: you have a $10 bet. The dealer has an ace up. They say "Insurance is open" and wave their hand over the table. If you want insurance, you push out $5. They check, and if they do have a BJ they take your $10 bet, but pay your $5 bet with $10. So you have lost nothing. If they don't have a BJ, they take your insurance bet and you play out your hand.
    If you have a BJ, when they say insurance you can say "even money" and they pay your BJ at $10 (not $15, or 3:2). They check, and if they do have BJ you won $10. If they don't, you essentially lost the extra 5 you could have made had you declined even money.
    Even money and insurance are essentially the same thing, one is for when you have a BJ and one is for when you don't have a BJ.
    4. If you "play into a 21" (say you're dealt a 6,7, and you hit for an 8) the dealer still has a chance to play. If they also play into a 21, it is a push, you neither win nor lose.
    5. This goes back to the no hole card game. Usually, if the dealer has 2 cards dealt, they ALSO check for BJ before play begins. They don't offer insurance, though, so if a dealer has a 10 up and an Ace down, you either lose or push if you were also dealt a 21.

1. If the dealer doesn't have a "hole card" there is a different basic strategy. I don't play that game, so I'm not the person to ask about it.
    It depends, there are a variety of ways to play without a hole card. An OBO game is the same as a peek game. The other common variant is ENHC, in which case you do not split or double against ten or ace, except for AA v T.