See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Indices and basic stratergy at 1st haft of the shoe

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Indices and basic stratergy at 1st haft of the shoe

May be it is my selective memory but I notice that at 1st half of the shoe the indices do not have much advantage over BS so I do not care much about indices, instead I play dumb for some iffy hands such as 12 v2, 3 or 16 v10 and talk to dealers, PB or other players as cover. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by cc12b; 01-16-2019 at 09:43 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Well, of course you're wrong. Either use the indices or don't use them.

Don

I think you're right, index plays don't have much advantage over basic strategy during the first half of the shoe (or the last half for that matter). Overall the gain from index plays is rather modest, but blackjack is a game of small edges so...

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    I think you're right, index plays don't have much advantage over basic strategy during the first half of the shoe (or the last half for that matter). Overall the gain from index plays is rather modest, but blackjack is a game of small edges so...
    Are you saying that because there's not much or a count in the first half, so it doesn't come up very often; or are you implying there's a cut-card effect for index plays?

I think they are talking about TC frequency distribution and bet size. They are both important factors into what indices are in play how frequently and what your bet size.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Are you saying that because there's not much or a count in the first half, so it doesn't come up very often; or are you implying there's a cut-card effect for index plays?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    No.
    So what are you saying and why?

I mean EoR in shoe game has been deluded so indices play does not much effect base on count in 1st half, especially for 6D or 8D. I save brain power for last couple decks and cover acting. Three is right,

Quote Originally Posted by cc12b View Post
    I mean EoR in shoe game has been deluded so indices play does not much effect base on count in 1st half, especially for 6D or 8D. I save brain power for last couple decks and cover acting. Three is right,
    Are you actually saying that you’re on auto pilot for first half of shoe, then decide to concentrate during second half?

Pretty silly - you should be able to do everything, during any part of the shoe.

Your indices are more accurate (for lack of a better word) deeper in the shoe, to be sure. A TC 3 with 10 cards left to play in a double deck game is a bigger advantage than a TC 3 one deck into a six deck shoe, and indices function the same way. I can't find it, but a while ago someone posted a sim on (I think?) 16v10 index value throughout the shoe, and it gained more EV with deeper penetration. I may be misstating, so if the OP still has it they can post it.

That said, I don't know why you WOULDN'T use an index early in the shoe. Just because it's MORE valuable at deeper penetration doesn't mean it's worthless at the beginning. You are paying a high price for cover.

Let me understand, you keep the count, know the indexes but implementing them causes you to be unable to talk, look around, etc. Are you using HiLo or a 3 level count? Otherwise, it's not that difficult. Maybe deck estimation might be hard and requires brain power but it should get to be second nature after a few hours.

The experience APs and mathman have spoken. Most of them, if not all,say indices is better than BS even it EV is very small at 1st half of the shoe. Thanks all.