Thread: Stanford Wong blackjack secrets

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Stanford Wong blackjack secrets

So I've been reading the book blackjack secrets by Stanford Wong, and I've gotten to the chapter on high/low card counting. In this chapter there is a table on early surrender, and when it is best to do it. I'm confused because it's in this table it says to always surrender in hard 13. And that obviously goes against basic strategy.

Right before the table, in the paragraph explaining it, it says that the table itself, only really has relevance whenever the count per deck is high. But also in the table itself, there are specific scenarios in which you should surrender if the count per deck is at a certain number. When referring to hard 13, it says you should just surrender no matter what. I don't understand this. I don't know if I'm missing something. I'm hoping someone can help me out. Please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scloeffert View Post
    So I've been reading the book blackjack secrets by Stanford Wong, and I've gotten to the chapter on high/low card counting. In this chapter there is a table on early surrender, and when it is best to do it. I'm confused because it's in this table it says to always surrender in hard 13. And that obviously goes against basic strategy.

Right before the table, in the paragraph explaining it, it says that the table itself, only really has relevance whenever the count per deck is high. But also in the table itself, there are specific scenarios in which you should surrender if the count per deck is at a certain number. When referring to hard 13, it says you should just surrender no matter what. I don't understand this. I don't know if I'm missing something. I'm hoping someone can help me out. Please and thank you.
    You are looking at early surrender. A great, but now all but non-existent rule. From what I remember, you do a lot more surrendering when playing a game with early surrender.

The surrender index for 13 v10 in an ES10 game is +8.
    I do have the book you are referring to, haven't looked at in ages. What page is this on - I'll read it over.

Thanks I'd appreciate that. I'm looking at an online PDF version of the book, it says it's on page 47

Quote Originally Posted by Scloeffert View Post
    Thanks I'd appreciate that. I'm looking at an online PDF version of the book, it says it's on page 47
    The reference is against ace. That's what it says, but I am now curious. Doesn't sound right surrender 13 v -0Ace at all counts. .

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The reference is against ace. That's what it says, but I am now curious. Doesn't sound right surrender 13 v -0Ace at all counts. .
    WOO has the BS for ES at the following link:
    https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/6/

Vs an ace I am only going to play soft hands, a hard total of four (if it is a S17 game), and 8, 9, 10 and 11. Everything else I will early surrender. But what are the best index plays pertaining to early surrender and the ace?

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me. I didn't realize I was only referring if the dealer shows ace. But it still doesn't go with basic strategy.

Basic strategy is to early surrender 13 vs A.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The surrender index for 13 v10 in an ES10 game is +8.
    I do have the book you are referring to, haven't looked at in ages. What page is this on - I'll read it over.
    No, that is the index for late surrender. For ES, 13 vs 10 is +3; vs ace (S17) is -7, vs ace (H17) always surrender.

Banker has the right answer.
    G Man