Thread: Insurance at TC 3 or TC 2

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Insurance at TC 3 or TC 2

Mr. Three mentioned something about taking insurance at TC2 in a double deck game. I always thought the count for insurance was TC3 which is what I always use. So I decided to look it up in BJRM. The count for insurance is TC2 in a double deck game if you are using hi-low, but TC3 if using Halves. I thought this to be strange as I always thought the index numbers for hi-low and halves were pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Mr. Three mentioned something about taking insurance at TC2 in a double deck game. I always thought the count for insurance was TC3 which is what I always use. So I decided to look it up in BJRM. The count for insurance is TC2 in a double deck game if you are using hi-low, but TC3 if using Halves. I thought this to be strange as I always thought the index numbers for hi-low and halves were pretty much the same.
    Check Wongs Professional Blackjack. Think you'll find index at dd to be 2.7, and 3.3 at 6d. The discrepancy between hi lo and halves has to do with 9's. Think about it. You should be able to figure it out.

Tc 3 should be ok . even taking it at tc 4 won't kill you if it's a stiff. what would destroy you is overbetting , playing garbage games , being overly timid , making many errors and plain don't know how to gauge a game for tolerance and watch out for signs of heat and looking out for dangerous personnel.

If your counting system counts ace and face separately, like Hi-Opt 2, then you use +2.7 or +2.666 as insurance threshold. If your counting system counts ace and face together, you might use +3. Specifically +3 for Hi-Lo and +2.9 for Zen. The above numbers assume you calculate level 2 TC by half-deck . If you calculate level 2 TC by deck, double the numbers.

Im almost positive these are the working affects of "floating advantage" due to the increased (dis)advantage from the more decks that are in play..Just like why you get more Blackjacks at the same TCs with 1 deck left as opposed to 4 left..Your Advantage per TC also rises the deeper into the deck you get...Ever played with a 1/2 deck remaining? it basically become a license to steal at that point You can see this in CVdata stats as well...
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Just like why you get more Blackjacks at the same TCs with 1 deck left as opposed to 4 left
    You get blackjack more frequently in a double deck game than say in a six deck game because the EOR of each card is more significant. Removing an ace actually makes it more likely that you get blackjack IF your first card is an ace. For example if your first card in single deck is an ace you now have a 16/51 chance of getting blackjack or 31.37% whereas in six deck if your first card is an ace you now have a 96/311 or 30.86% chance of blackjack. I guess this phenomenon occurs in a six deck game that is down to one deck as well.