Thread: Hi everyone. New guy. Interested in BJ.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hi everyone. New guy. Interested in BJ.

Hello all.

Former semi-serious chess player turned poker pro during the boom years, a bit burned out on that scene in spite of remaining profitable.
    Thinking about exploring blackjack as a 'trade skill' to have in case I ever need it but completely new as far as basic strategies to build on.

Is there suggested reading for a new guy? I usually find it most productive to start at intermediate level gaming books rather than rank beginner stuff that tends to go over general gaming concepts I'm already familiar with.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Hello all.

Former semi-serious chess player turned poker pro during the boom years, a bit burned out on that scene in spite of remaining profitable.
    Thinking about exploring blackjack as a 'trade skill' to have in case I ever need it but completely new as far as basic strategies to build on.

Is there suggested reading for a new guy? I usually find it most productive to start at intermediate level gaming books rather than rank beginner stuff that tends to go over general gaming concepts I'm already familiar with.

Thanks for any help.
    BJ21.com will keep you busy.

My favorite chess opening is Nimzowich's Defense.

Get the book Don Schlesinger's Blackjack Attack. Third Edition- The Ultimate Weapon. It has improved my game tremendeously...

I basically just wrote this in another thread but it's applicable here, so this is a copy/paste:

An excellent card counting guide can be found here: https://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackjack-school/ That's what I used when I first learned how to count cards, and I know several others have used it as well. If you're still serious about card counting, I recommend purchasing CVCX and CVBJ from qfit.com. The first is a simulator -- you enter the type of game you're playing, bankroll, game rules, what kinda spread you want, risk, etc. etc. etc....and it tells you proper bet ramping (when to bet what), your EV, SD, ROR, N0, etc. CVBJ is practice software with drills to speed up your counting and get you accurate, as well as a real-life BJ game (for fake money obviously) that lets you know if you've made an error, it keeps count along with you and you can check it periodically to make sure you have the correct running count, true count, etc.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

BJA3 is a 'bit' advanced for a newb...to say the least

this is by far the best:

https://www.blackjackincolor.com/

Unless there is no issue with traveling, be sure to check your local shops or subscribe to CBJN. Rules are deteriorating and finding playable games can be the hardest part of AP BJ.