See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DD card cutting technique..

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    20 times a session? How long is your session? Okay, so the assumption is 5 tens and 1 Ace are in the first 13 cards from a deck composition standpoint. I'm a little more excited. But still not as much as a boob in the ear.
    You ever tried hitting on that lady with the boob in your ear?

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Actually, if you're referring to getting the 8 or 9 as your first card, 8 is very slightly negative, and 9 is very slightly break even. Wonder how Don would interpret my 9 comment?
    The EOR of an 8, for betting purposes, is zero, to two decimal places. The EOR of a 9 is -0.17 -- about one-third the value of a ten. So, Meistro's original statement, namely that 8s are neutral and 9s possess a slight advantage to the player, is correct, with respect to their removal from the deck (you don't want them to come out).

I don't think he was referring to getting either rank as the first card in your hand, in which case, starting with an 8 is almost a 9% player disadvantage, while starting with a 9 is only about -1.2%.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    The EOR of an 8, for betting purposes, is zero, to two decimal places. The EOR of a 9 is -0.17 -- about one-third the value of a ten. So, Meistro's original statement, namely that 8s are neutral and 9s possess a slight advantage to the player, is correct, with respect to their removal from the deck (you don't want them to come out).

I don't think he was referring to getting either rank as the first card in your hand, in which case, starting with an 8 is almost a 9% player disadvantage, while starting with a 9 is only about -1.2%.

Don
    Thanks, Don. I was cutting out the 7's and cutting in the 9's, assuming the 8 is neutral but as I read from you, they all are negative with 9 being the least negative.

Here is what I "know" after assuming I can cut exakaree to 13 cahs. I know one of them is a 10 and we have 103 placed where I'm not exakaree sure. I keep my bet at a minimum unless scenario described in post 23. Then I'd go two hands to absorb more tens and Aces.
    I have a question for you -

You're playing single-deck game and the running count is +1 and there is 1/4 deck remaining. Would you raise your bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I have a question for you -

You're playing single-deck game and the running count is +1 and there is 1/4 deck remaining. Would you raise your bet?
    No, of course he wouldn't. He doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

Bigdaddy is correct on his analysis described above. Why do we need to keep arguing over this?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Yet another comment from the HiLo peanut gallery.

Do you know how many tens or aces remain remain? How about 7,8,9s? Of course you wouldn't because you don't know WTF you are doing? You are just gambling.

Of those 13 cards that remain, suppose 10 of them are a combo of 7,8, or 9; 1 is a 10; and 2 are a combo of 2,3,4,5,6. Do you seriously think you've found value at RC +1?
    Everyone's brain is wired differently. It's why we have workers, labourers, managers, business owners etc. Our abilities, and how we handle those abilities are what set different people apart.

I take Moses at his word that he can accurately define ever card left with 13 cards left. That's obviously the way his brain is wired. I can't do that, but I do have unusual pattern recognition abilities coupled with super fast calculation. AlwYs did, well before my card playing days. I take Zee at his word at many of his comments. His antics are very funny and actually help drive traffic, and for that matter, humour value to the site. Would love to have a coffeee with him, provided I wouldn't have to give him directions to the coffee shop

Interestingly enough, I'm sure I recently saw somewhere on the site, the likely higher proportion of ADD in the AP community. That certainly defines me. Never realized I had it till I watched one of my sons grow up, but my friends all seemed to know. Very different wiring in fact. In my hay day, doing 12 things at once was nothing. It all got done, but I always needed simeone to clean up the paperwork. From an AP perspective, think about what that can achieve. Could make an interesting sub thread.

Freighter. FTR. I will know how many Aces, tens, 89s, 67s, 24s and 5s remain. If I didn't or couldn't, I'd stay on the porch.

Don't sell yourself short on Wong Halves. You will have placed a value on all but 4 (in worst case scenario) of the remaining cards. Therefore, it's likely your RC +1 will reflect a more accurate estimate of deck composition than HiLo RC +1.
    Moses, trust me when I say I absolutely do not sell myself short. FTR, your column count, simply defined, is simply another way if tracking ratios of high cards to low cards. In addition, your betting schemes also take into account the ratio of intermediates to the whole.

Clearly, the impact of your system affects playing efficiency. To what degree, don't know how to measure. Again, regardless of system, judgement is key.

Reading this thread is like watching 2 blind squirrels fighting over which one is going to get to dry hump an acorn cap. AP is about finding every advantage you can and making the most of them so that in aggregate you have a large advantage from the sum of a whole lot of small advantage situations. You have an advantage staring you right in the face. Do the right thing to realize the most advantage from the information. It is like all the penny pinching I do in a year. People make fun of me and call me stingy etc. Then I buy something that costs like $4K or $5K and they are scratching their heads and ask why I pinch pennies if I am going to splurge on something they think is extravagant. Then I tell them I have an extra $7K from my penny pinching and I still have another few thousand to spend on something else really extravagant that I want really bad. Some get it and realize all those little things they think aren't worth worrying about add up to something huge over time but others don't get it and just keep scratching their heads that the cheap guy can afford what they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Reading this thread is like watching 2 blind squirrels fighting over which one is going to get to dry hump an acorn cap. AP is about finding every advantage you can and making the most of them so that in aggregate you have a large advantage from the sum of a whole lot of small advantage situations. You have an advantage staring you right in the face. Do the right thing to realize the most advantage from the information. It is like all the penny pinching I do in a year. People make fun of me and call me stingy etc. Then I buy something that costs like $4K or $5K and they are scratching their heads and ask why I pinch pennies if I am going to splurge on something they think is extravagant. Then I tell them I have an extra $7K from my penny pinching and I still have another few thousand to spend on something else really extravagant that I want really bad. Some get it and realize all those little things they think aren't worth worrying about add up to something huge over time but others don't get it and just keep scratching their heads that the cheap guy can afford what they can't.
    Dry hump? Get a hold of yourself?

What you called penny pinching is what my kid brother referred to as kvetch income
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kvetch

And you're right. With every level of Government, bank, cell phone provider etc. Coming up with new and innovative systems of extracting your money from you, kvetching is a legitimate method of clawing some back.

Long live kvetchers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

So who can top Moses? The OP is getting some great stories, huh!

Not sure I understand your post T3.
    Recognizing true value doesn't come without patience, discipline, and good ole fashion hard work. I once bought a house for $400k that was $100k below value in an extreme buyers market. People were standing in lines and taking lottery to buy a new house.

But someone got greedy by leveraging a smaller builder while waiting for their purchase to rise to a premium before they actually had to make the purchase. Perhaps I was in the right place at the right time. Or maybe it was dumb luck. Knowing to pull the trigger was a result of study and viewing nearly every house on the market.

I sensed the frustration of the real estate lady on the phone with a client that was stringing them along. As she hung up, I joked, "I will write you a check right now if you give me the same deal you are giving them." She laughed. I didn't. She said, "are you serious?" I replied "yes, I guess I am." I wrote them a check 72 hours later. The value jumped to a million in less than 2 years.

Just like some of those yo- ho's sports book that are in a cluster seeking pennies they fail to step back and see the value in dollars.
    The value of having the resources available at the right place and time cannot be overstated. Don't take deals that are to good to be true, but capitalizing on good deals usually requires cash in hand. Strong credit lines certainly don't hurt.

In any event, I'm past the point if undue risk, so a deal would have to be awfully good to bite. Congrats on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    So who can top Moses? The OP is getting some great stories, huh!
    I know lots of guys, though personally don't know of any in the forums. As nice as the 600 k SCORE is, it really only means something on liquidation, or as a guarantee in credit lines.

I'm sure there are lots if guys in the forums who have profited nicely in the stock market since Trump was elected. I know I have, but the increase in value is only paper till I liquidate. Interest, dividends etc. Are essentially where they were.

AP or make money. I choose make money. Maybe one should read less and work harder at identifying the best values. Do we really need to read every book written on blackjack or employ every little threshold in existence? I think not. I mean there was only one book written on the meaning of life.

Maybe one gets their game in order to compete at the highest level so they don't have to worry about every perceived nuance or threshold.
    I love nuances. I just don't want to do interpet 3000 words to figure them out. Nuances essentially convert to seasoning. I think what you are referring to is the page upon page upon page of undecipherable gobbledygook, essentially confusing the shit out of everybody.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast