See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Dan Gordon

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It turns out that this is not the case. The date was changed, and the service will now be on May 13. Here is a message from Dan's brother, Ken:

Sorry for the delay in confirming the location. We wanted to get a fair idea as to the number of people who would be attending, and thought it best to give everyone time to decide whether to make what (for some) will be a long trip. Based on the responses over the course of the last month, we now have a pretty clear notion of the size of the group coming to remember Dan.

As I mentioned in earlier E-mails, the gathering will be on Saturday, May 13. We have reserved a room at Serafina restaurant (located on the upper west-side of Manhattan) so that there will be lunch for everyone. I hope you all like Italian food.

The address is:

Serafina
    2178 Broadway (NE corner of Broadway and West 77th Street)

We will gather at 1:00 PM, which I hope allows travel time for those flying in on Saturday.

Please confirm that you will be attending and let me know who if anyone will be accompanying you.

My wife and I thought long and hard about the best location for the gathering. Following the deaths of my father, mother, and uncle, our family all met at Riverside Memorial Chapel for a Jewish service. Dan, however, never seemed to feel entirely comfortable at Riverside, and almost certainly would not have wanted any kind of religious ceremony, let alone have a Rabbi recite prayers or blessings. So we have decided to handle this occasion differently and will instead gather at Serafina restaurant in a private room in which all who wish to do so can share their memories of and thoughts about Dan. Since Dan never attended synagogue regularly after his Bar-Mitzvah in 1966, having some Rabbi who had never met Dan speak seems less appropriate than having Dan's friends and relatives delivery eulogies.

This occasion will no doubt provide surprises for all of us, since Dan's life spanned many dimensions. But Dan was always full of surprises for us, so why should this gathering be any different!

Please let me know if you have any food allergies of which we should be aware. You can find Serafina's menu online.

Feel free to send me any photos or other materials you might want to have distributed at our gathering. I will be happy to make copies.

Most important of all, thank you all so much for joining us as we remember and honor Dan.

Best,

Ken Gordon

Wow! I just read his book, Blackjack Diary, about a month ago. It was entertaining as well as educational.

On a similar note, does anyone know the status of the Gamemaster Bill Channels? When I read his book a year or two ago, he had some medical issues maybe cancer? I emailed him a few times regarding some questions I had. Is he still alive?

Blog Entries

I heard he died; but I can't remember from whom. Haven't had an e-mail from him in years, and his Polish vodka site is gone.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    "Polish vodka"
    If you are referencing Polish Vodka, flavored with Buffalo Grass, I love it.
    It was illegal in the USA for many years as the content was too high in
    naturally occurring coumadin, a blood thinner. Finally it was made available
    in the USA, but the delightful flavoring is severely limited, and of the brands
    that I have at home, there's generally a single stalk of Buffalo Grass included.

But, (after an endless wait), it pleases me no end that I have a
    "Medical Marijuana"
    Card; and while my home state offers pathetic
    and severely overpriced medical marijuana options, (via their few
    dispensaries),
    I have found several states that offer me complete
    reciprocity ~ Nevada included. Fortunately, I travel extensively.

IMHO, the best (unflavored) vodka is
    Tito's Vodka, from Austin Texas.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Emanor Prestige Vodka. Bill was the exclusive importer. Appears not to be available here anymore. http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/emanor.shtml
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12