See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best cure when on a losing streak and losing patience and discipline?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Best cure when on a losing streak and losing patience and discipline?

Been hot for about 5 months... in fact never faced back to back losing sessions in over 50 sessions played. Finally hit some variance and lost 3 in a row. Actually 3 in 2 days and started losing patience and discipline ans started over betting.

I already know the best answer: TAKE A BREAK.

Just wondering if there were any other small things i could do to help.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gm7lp View Post
    Been hot for about 5 months... in fact never faced back to back losing sessions in over 50 sessions played. Finally hit some variance and lost 3 in a row. Actually 3 in 2 days and started losing patience and discipline ans started over betting.

I already know the best answer: TAKE A BREAK.

Just wondering if there were any other small things i could do to help.

The math is the math. You've been on the right side if the bell curve for 5 months. Three losses in a row is to be totally expected. Seriously, don't sweat it. There will far worse swings for you.

Prelim thoughts
    50 sessions, no back to back losses means a minimum win rate north if 50%. Don't know your bankroll or your stakes. Clearly you are not seasoned. Regardless, with those stats, you do have some talent, though the sampling is small. Keep grinding away doing whatever it is that you're doing. Keep a responsible eye in your roll and your risk of ruin. Study, work hard, pick up tricks where you can. Good luck.

I didn't think losing streak could last as long as they can I've been in one for the last few months. I felt it was my play but in reality it was just a cards wasn't fall on my way. But what I did to seem to help is number one I took a break then when I went back to my local stores I changed my hours shorten my bank for my sessions and I tried to go to other places around my area a little bit more I had to travel but it all worked out a change of place I mean everything good luck to you my friend things will change we had to just hang on but don't push it it's not falling your way take a break for a while I was pushing it I lost half my bankroll almost but I'm on the rebound

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The math is the math. You've been on the right side if the bell curve for 5 months. Three losses in a row is to be totally expected. Seriously, don't sweat it. There will far worse swings for you.

Prelim thoughts
    50 sessions, no back to back losses means a minimum win rate north if 50%. Don't know your bankroll or your stakes. Clearly you are not seasoned. Regardless, with those stats, you do have some talent, though the sampling is small. Keep grinding away doing whatever it is that you're doing. Keep a responsible eye in your roll and your risk of ruin. Study, work hard, pick up tricks where you can. Good luck.
    Thanks freightman. I did a little counting back in college but never had the roll back then to be serious. Picked it up afain last octobee. I get obssessed with things so I studied pretty hard.

BR 90k (pure profit BR) i play $100 min games. I think i recorded like 40 wins 7 losses and 2 draws in first 5 months over 120 hours then i lost 3 in a row and found myself overbetting so i think im gonna take a 2 or 3 week hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by Barney112 View Post
    I didn't think losing streak could last as long as they can I've been in one for the last few months. I felt it was my play but in reality it was just a cards wasn't fall on my way. But what I did to seem to help is number one I took a break then when I went back to my local stores I changed my hours shorten my bank for my sessions and I tried to go to other places around my area a little bit more I had to travel but it all worked out a change of place I mean everything good luck to you my friend things will change we had to just hang on but don't push it it's not falling your way take a break for a while I was pushing it I lost half my bankroll almost but I'm on the rebound

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk
    Thanks barney. Wow half your BR thats scary. I think i might go nuts if that happened to me. Start throwing huge wagers on black haha

90k pure profit on 120 hours is absolutely huge. Your numbers tell me you've extremely lucky so far. Think about your current min bet in relation to your bankroll, factor in ROR calculations and consider reducing your bet structure. You started with a Hail Mary, 90k is no longer Hail Mary. Protect yourself accordingly. If you don't have CVCX yet, get it.

You clearly have some talent - develop it, hone it. Your investment of time and study today will pay huge dividends. You don't have to immediately set the world on fire. So far, nicely done.

Whenever I have a substantial loss, I take a moment to evaluate my play. I look for any cracks or room for improvement. The loss is probably just variance, but I want to be sure it's not me. You'll have losses worse than three sessions eventually. Walk away if you're digging in and over betting. Always play with a clear head.

I think other's advice of looking into your RoR is wise. Make sure you're not over betting your BR.

Sent from Tapatalk

The real question is "why do we tilt" and the answer is a build up of emotion. So what you should do is acknowledge your emotions. When you find yourself getting frustrated say to yourself "it is natural to get frustrated when I experience bad luck but in the long run if I keep playing a winning game I will get the money". See Jared Tendler's 'The Mental Game of Poker' for more on this subject. Taking a break will help in that the built up emotion can take some time to dissipate but it is better to learn how to control your tilt.

Another common problem for professional gamblers is manufacturing winning streaks. It is easy to manufacture a long series of wins. All you have to do is quit any time you get up and if you get stuck then you grind out a long session to try to break even. The problem is that this results in you spending a minimum amount of time when conditions are optimal, and most of your volume in bad playing conditions. The inevitable consequence of this strategy is a long series of small wins and then a massive crippling loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    Another common problem for professional gamblers is manufacturing winning streaks. It is easy to manufacture a long series of wins. All you have to do is quit any time you get up and if you get stuck then you grind out a long session to try to break even. The problem is that this results in you spending a minimum amount of time when conditions are optimal, and most of your volume in bad playing conditions. The inevitable consequence of this strategy is a long series of small wins and then a massive crippling loss.
    +1
    A bit cryptic but I understand why. When I am losing confidence I get annal about only playing the best conditions. If the game slows down for some ploppy reason I leave as soon as I have no advantage and it looks unlikely to recover. I get really, really selective about what games I play. I find a cycle forms. I should be doing that all the time. But after losing my confidence I get annal about it. Then after a long string of wins I get more and more confident and start playing more conditions I had been avoiding. Eventually it catches up with me and I have a bad run that I felt was mostly because I was playing when I shouldn't have been or just variance. My confidence is temporarily shaken and I go back to what I should be doing all the time and the wins flow once again.

A couple thoughts -

Keep in mind that 50 sessions (maybe 5,000 - 10,000 rounds) in the world of card counting is nothing. The best thing you can do right now is gain a better understanding of the math and adjust your mindset. Here's some math:

For a typical game, a card counter's chance of winning any given session of 100 - 200 rounds is about 52 or 53%. Don't believe the online BS that you should win about 60% or more of your sessions - you'll be in for a big disillusionment. So three session losses in a row - you're worried? Really?

You should judge the results of a session by the quality of your play not the pecuniary outcome. After my sessions I try to focus on whether I made any playing or betting errors, lost the count, got distracted, deviated from the game plan, etc. Then I try to correct going forward. Remember - the EV accrues as the right decisions are made, and (for a typical game) it will probably take 50,000 - 100,000 rounds to manifest itself with any level of certainty.

Steel yourself for the variance to come - it's brutal. The game can be a sweet little puppy dog like it is for you right now, and then it can turn on you like an abused pit bull. So you're playing a $100 minimum game with a $90k bankroll? If you're playing a cushy DD game at 1 - 6 then you're probably ok, but if you're playing shoe at 1 - 15, then you're likely to be toast sooner or later...

The idea that you may win 52-55% would be fine. In my case, I am winning 60% of my sessions but it's because when I am in the hole, I play longer sessions (I know I should not) and often recover. My problem is that by counting sessions, I am a winner but reality is that my losing sessions are much larger and at the moment I am losing. Average winning sessions are about $800-$1k, losing are about $2.5k. Biggest winning session playing $25-$150 DD is $3.2k, losing one is $6.2k.

I too am currently taking a 3 week break.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    90k pure profit on 120 hours is absolutely huge. Your numbers tell me you've extremely lucky so far. Think about your current min bet in relation to your bankroll, factor in ROR calculations and consider reducing your bet structure. You started with a Hail Mary, 90k is no longer Hail Mary. Protect yourself accordingly. If you don't have CVCX yet, get it.

You clearly have some talent - develop it, hone it. Your investment of time and study today will pay huge dividends. You don't have to immediately set the world on fire. So far, nicely done.
    Thats another question. Ive dugged around and found different answers. What is 1% RoR for a min 100 game? Ive seen 90k. Ive seen "professional bankroll" being 100k. Ive seen another 13,400 units which is 134k. Ive also seen 100 max bets which at a 1-12 ramp is 120k.

What is appropriate BR for 1% RoR????

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast