Thread: Determining SCORE in other games [dschls]

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Determining SCORE in other games [dschls]

Does SCORE = 1000000/N0 apply to other non-BJ games? What kind of adjustment would you make for hands per hour? If I want to compare a BJ game, VP game, and an MS game, I'm certainly not going to assume each has the same rounds per hour. Let's say I can do 100 HPH on BJ, 800 HPH on VP, and 30 HPH on MS.

Since SCORE uses 100 HPH, I'd think I'd modify the HPH and N0 in other games so they can be compatible. For instance, on VP, I'd divide the N0 by 8 (800/8 = 100). On MS, I'd multiply the N0 by 3.33 (30 * 3.33 = 100). Now that the HPH's are compatible, I'd use the "new N0" in 1000000/N0 to come up with a SCORE that resembles that of the BJ game.

Similarly, if I have two BJ games, one is 100 HPH and the other is 150 HPH, can I do what I explained above to come up with comparable SCOREs?

Does this make sense? Is it accurate? Or am I missing something?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStoned View Post
    Does SCORE = 1000000/N0 apply to other non-BJ games? What kind of adjustment would you make for hands per hour? If I want to compare a BJ game, VP game, and an MS game, I'm certainly not going to assume each has the same rounds per hour. Let's say I can do 100 HPH on BJ, 800 HPH on VP, and 30 HPH on MS.

Since SCORE uses 100 HPH, I'd think I'd modify the HPH and N0 in other games so they can be compatible. For instance, on VP, I'd divide the N0 by 8 (800/8 = 100). On MS, I'd multiply the N0 by 3.33 (30 * 3.33 = 100). Now that the HPH's are compatible, I'd use the "new N0" in 1000000/N0 to come up with a SCORE that resembles that of the BJ game.

Similarly, if I have two BJ games, one is 100 HPH and the other is 150 HPH, can I do what I explained above to come up with comparable SCOREs?

Does this make sense? Is it accurate? Or am I missing something?
    Just understand that while e.v.s are linear, s.d.s aren't. So make sure to work with individual game e.v.s and variances. SCORE is e.v.^2/variance, so because with how you scale things.

Don

Does SCORE use 100HPH? I have always thought the contrary.

When I calculate SCORE for a non-BJ play I generally just calculate the N0 and get the SCORE from that.

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughHeat View Post
    Does SCORE use 100HPH? I have always thought the contrary.

When I calculate SCORE for a non-BJ play I generally just calculate the N0 and get the SCORE from that.
    SCORE is based on playing or seeing 100 rounds per hour.

If you can calculate the N0, that implies the same thing as calculating the SCORE. If you could do the first (N0), you just as well could have done the SCORE first by inverting the two parts of the fraction from the very beginning.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    SCORE is based on playing or seeing 100 rounds per hour.

If you can calculate the N0, that implies the same thing as calculating the SCORE. If you could do the first (N0), you just as well could have done the SCORE first by inverting the two parts of the fraction from the very beginning.

Don
    I remember how the 100 RPH figures in now. The calculation is pretty straight forward as long as you know which EVs and Vs to use.

This is totally screwing me up. If someone could point me where I've made a mistake, that'd be great.

For the example, I'll use a game with an advantage of 5% and a variance of 20. To find N0, you need to find where EV = SD.

EV = 0.05 * Rounds * Wager
    SD = (20^0.5) * Rounds^0.5 * Wager

Wager amount cancels out (divide both sides by wager). So you end up with:

0.05 * R = 4.47 * R^0.5
    R / R^0.5 = 4.47 / 0.05
    R^0.5 = 89.4
    (R^0.5)^2 = (89.4)^2
    R = 7992

Therefore, N0 = 7992. If SCORE is 1000000 / 7992, then SCORE = 125

-----------------

If SCORE = EV^2 / Variance then I come up with the following:

For one hand, you have an EV of 0.05 and a Variance of 20, for 0.05^2 / 20 = SCORE = 0.000125????

For one hour (900 HPH)--

EV = 900 * 0.05 * $5
    Var = SD^2 = [ (20^0.5) * 900^0.5 * $5 ]^2

EV = 225
    Var = 450,000

EV^2 = 50,625

EV^2 / Var = 50,625 / 450,000 = 0.1125

SCORE = 0.1125????

WolframAlpha says
    (R * 0.05 * 5)^2 / ( (20^0.5) * R^0.5 * 5)^2
    ==
    0.000125 * R

-----------------

EDIT, It seems like it'd be:

SCORE = (EV^2 / Variance) * 1,000,000.....which would give a SCORE of 125 for the first one with EV^2/var (where I got 0.000125). Unfortunately, this doesn't include the HPH. If we do the same thing for the second EV^2/var I did, which includes the 900 HPH, we'd have 0.1125 * 1,000,000 = SCORE = 112,500.
    Last edited by RS; 02-24-2017 at 12:48 AM.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

You're making things much too complicated. The one million factor works for the per-hand values. Stick with that. Once you have a SCORE for 100 RPH, the metric is purely linear. You play nine hours, your SCORE doesn't change, but you win nine times as much as you do for one hour.

So, if you want to define a new SCORE for a game that has 900 RPH, that SCORE is nine times what you originally got (correctly) for 100 RPH. You're getting 900 times that value because you're using a multiplier of 900 times the per-hand values to calculate the SCORE. Don't do that! :-)

Don

Makes sense now. Thanks Don.