See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: More Voodoo theory

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    x = sqrt(1 + x)

Pick any number for X. Repeat this about 10 times (using result from equation as new X). You've reached the golden ratio. Repeating 30 times to infinity and the integer remains at 1.618 (golden ratio). Ratios of successive Fibonacci numbers are all solutions to the golden ratio. The following example illustrates the relationship of the second Fibonacci member toward the first one, the relationship of the third member toward the second one, etc:

1:1 = 1.0000, less than phi for 0.6180

2:1 = 2.0000, more than phi for 0.3820

3:2 = 1.5000, less than phi for 0.1180

5:3 = 1.6667, more than phi for 0.0486

8:5 = 1.6000, less than phi 0.0180

The decimal result is of importance here. It is the ratio of the given sequence. As the Fibonacci sequence moves on, each new member will divide the next one, etc coming closer and closer to the unreachable phi.

Fibonacci numbers, while typically dismissed as bunk, are not just numerology and actually common in fields such as architecture and medicine. They're probably pretty useless for betting progression, however
    I know. I was just poking fun at your choice of words. Precise statements are important in any discussion of mathematical facts.

Blog Entries

I don't understand what a restaurant in San Diego has to do with Blackjack. http://www.yelp.com/biz/fibonaccis-c...stro-san-diego

427018_324290694283646_758710090_n.jpg
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I knew a woman that swore by the Fibonacci progression at craps. She bet the progression to 987 on the passline. She claimed it worked well. I am not sure if she stopped short for certain criterion or simply bet through the the table min (probably $5 back in those days) for a 12 number sequence. It was a long time ago. I guess if you ever won 2 bets in a row you would have a nice profit at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I don't understand what a restaurant in San Diego has to do with Blackjack. http://www.yelp.com/biz/fibonaccis-c...stro-san-diego

427018_324290694283646_758710090_n.jpg
    You're right! Senor Fibonacci is a dice man. Good observation. They have good ciao, too. smiley-eatdrink061.gif
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    x = sqrt(1 + x)Pick any number for X. Repeat this about 10 times (using result from equation as new X). You've reached the golden ratio. Repeating 30 times to infinity and the integer remains at 1.618 (golden ratio). Ratios of successive Fibonacci numbers are all solutions to the golden ratio. The following example illustrates the relationship of the second Fibonacci member toward the first one, the relationship of the third member toward the second one, etc:1:1 = 1.0000, less than phi for 0.61802:1 = 2.0000, more than phi for 0.38203:2 = 1.5000, less than phi for 0.11805:3 = 1.6667, more than phi for 0.04868:5 = 1.6000, less than phi 0.0180The decimal result is of importance here. It is the ratio of the given sequence. As the Fibonacci sequence moves on, each new member will divide the next one, etc coming closer and closer to the unreachable phi.Fibonacci numbers, while typically dismissed as bunk, are not just numerology and actually common in fields such as architecture and medicine. They're probably pretty useless for betting progression, however
    I think there's something funky about the fibonacci sequence and the number 'e'. If you divide one number by the number two before it, it tends toward 2.618...Yet e=2.718. Coincidence? YOU DECIDE!!
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

"I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStoned View Post
    I think there's something funky about the fibonacci sequence and the number 'e'. If you divide one number by the number two before it, it tends toward 2.618...Yet e=2.718. Coincidence? YOU DECIDE!!
    As n approaches infinity, the nth term divided by the (n-2)th term converges to the limiting value phi + 1, or 2.61803398875.
    Last edited by Frostbyte; 01-26-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    "Wait a minute. How do you beat someone to death with their own skull? That doesn't seem physically possible." "That's what Jimmy kept screaming: 'This doesn't seem physically possible!'"

I knew someone that swore by Fibonacci numbers for trading all manner of financial securities, especially commodity futures (for some reason!). There's just no arguing with these people...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It's all been fun and games, but any numbers (Fibonacci or not) plugged into any progression system will lose. Fibonacci numbers may be the answer for many things, but in this case, it's like taking Advil for a brain tumor-- it may make you feel good, but it won't solve the problem.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    I knew someone that swore by Fibonacci numbers for trading all manner of financial securities, especially commodity futures (for some reason!). There's just no arguing with these people...
    I have only seen them used successfully (long-term) on one market and it wasn't stocks, commodities, or futures. The reason they're disputed is that people think levels are discretionary. And unfortunately the practitioners use them in discretionary manners. Others believe their usage has to do with what's aesthetically pleasing to buyers or sellers. All wrong. Properly used, retracements may be used as mean reversion techniques. Fifty percent of a price move between two major prices ("swing" points) is exactly the mean of those two prices. And those who favor quantitative analysis agree that mean reversion exists in the markets.

That's just one example, I will withhold further wisdom as this is a voodoo theory thread in the Disadvantage Forum
    ~Tom (aka "PT")

For sale: BlackjackLab

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234