See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Indices and their importance to your winning/variance

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The text is (virtually) complete.

There are very extensive simulations being completed.

Upon that long-anticipated event, we will all be happy.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. Keep us posted

"Upon that long-anticipated event, we will all be happy."

Don't bet on that either! :-)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by BJPloppy View Post
    Originally Posted by BoSox
    " Originally Posted by TthreeFirst off I came to realize that you can't accurately separate betting and playing. Your optimal ramp will depend on how many indices you use so as you add indices you also bet more. The gain from more indices is not just the gain from index play but the total gain from index play and and the increased bets."

Sorry Norm I have to respectfully disagree with you. With all the new players on this site, it is statements like the above one that could easily be misinterpreted costing the new player big losses.

BoSox,

I fully agree with your desire to protect new players from misinformation or confusing information. I happen to think in this case you did not think it through.
    Well your thinking is wrong.

A new player would strictly follow whatever is written down about the count he/she uses. So let's say they use the Il18. Reading Tthree's post might make him/her curious about using more indices. So the new player learns some more indices. Following directions will lead the new player to realize that you do not raise your bets during the negative indices, you only vary play based upon the count.
    Following directions,"What" Where are they in the above quote? You do not raise your bet in negative true counts, you used the wrong two words, "negative indices".

Now said new player goes back to Tthree and asks him for a further explanation of what he meant by his statement.
    Facts please! You are assuming the player is going to ask for further explanation. What if the player just takes the quote as is written.

In the end; no harm - no foul to the beginning player.
    Again another assumption.

Anyway, that is how I see it playing out if the new player did not ask for clarification immediately after reading the post.
    I would like to clear another problem in the above line. We are not talking about one new player reading the board, there are numerous new players all in various stages of learning the game.

Blog Entries

This site will not be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

" Originally Posted by TthreeFirst off I came to realize that you can't accurately separate betting and playing. Your optimal ramp will depend on how many indices you use so as you add indices you also bet more. The gain from more indices is not just the gain from index play but the total gain from index play and and the increased bets."

Tthree, all due respect a new player reading the above quote could immediately think that just by learning more index plays alone allows them to raise their bets. The player might not be clear on the reasons for doing this and ultimately could possibly be over betting at lower true counts for just knowing more index numbers by itself, all thanks to you for lack of an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    This site will not be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
    Why should everything be taken for granted, when we are dealing with new players?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Tthree, all due respect a new player reading the above quote could immediately think that just by learning more index plays alone allows them to raise their bets. The player might not be clear on the reasons for doing this and ultimately could possibly be over betting at lower true counts for just knowing more index numbers by itself, all thanks to you for lack of an explanation.
    Fair enough. You bet by what the sim tells you your optimal bet is. That is why you size your best as you do. With more indices you either get higher optimal bets or reduced RoR.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Why should everything be taken for granted, when we are dealing with new players?

I have to agree. KISS, for the newbie. No need to strain their brain off the get go.
    A long base of knowledge needs to be implanted. Once that base is established, the newbie will build their pyramid on that base. Time increases the number of layers. No need for brain surgery in the first week of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Fair enough. You bet by what the sim tells you your optimal bet is. That is why you size your best as you do. With more indices you either get higher optimal bets or reduced RoR.
    Start them with fundamentals. Not necessarily with sims telling you what to do.

Start with addition and subtraction, then multiplication and division - to coin a phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Start them with fundamentals. Not necessarily with sims telling you what to do.

Start with addition and subtraction, then multiplication and division - to coin a phrase.
    There are canned sims in the tool bar to use (Click "BJ Resources" and then click "CVCX Online" in the tool bar above). The only way they will know how to bet is from the software. Playing with the various tools in the site's tool bar makes learning quick. Learning like Zee, and Moses by asking questions to get answers that may or may not be right and can't be thorough in a brief post is fool hardy (a chapter in a book was what it took to cover the topic). Then asking questions and doing the opposite of the expert consensus like LW causes you to learn the hard way and makes you think you just have bad luck all your life. Read the books like Blackjack Attack, Playing the pros way. Ask questions to help understand what you have read. Use the software tools in the tool bar to quickly learn how various things interact in BJ. Those that try to learn by just asking questions without using the resources available through books and software tools are almost certainly going to fail.
    Last edited by Three; 10-01-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    There are canned sims in the tool bar to use (Click "BJ Resources" and then click "CVCX Online" in the tool bar above). The only way they will know how to bet is from the software. Playing with the various tools in the site's tool bar makes learning quick. Learning like Zee, and Moses by asking questions to get answers that may or may not be right and can't be thorough in a brief post is fool hardy. Then asking questions and doing the opposite of the expert consensus like LW causes you to learn the hard way and makes you think you just have bad luck all your life. Read the books like Blackjack Attack, Playing the pros way. Ask questions to help understand what you have read. Use the software tools in the tool bar to quickly learn how various things interact in BJ. Those that try to learn by just asking questions without using the resources available through books and software tools are almost certainly going to fail.
    I must be the exception. I started my bankroll with $600 seed money. I finally got Cvdata CVCX when the roll hit 85k. Mind you, I got the good books before that point though - have to admit the software opened my eyes.

I sure knew the play of the hand though - and eventually learned indices up the yin yang.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I must be the exception. I started my bankroll with $600 seed money. I finally got Cvdata CVCX when the roll hit 85k. Mind you, I got the good books before that point though - have to admit the software opened my eyes.

I sure knew the play of the hand though - and eventually learned indices up the yin yang.
    Everyone that made buy growing a shoestring BR through play will admit they were very lucky in retrospect. There are lots of software tools that are free and are not simulators. Although some are canned sim results. There is no excuse for not playing with the free software to get a feel for ow things in BJ interact.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast