Thread: Red Seven: Side Counting Aces

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Red Seven: Side Counting Aces

I'm using red seven. If I were to side count aces, instead of tagging them as -1, how would it affect my index plays? Would I still take insurance, and stand on 16/15vT at 0 and +2 respectively? Since aces obviously don't have any effect on busting or the dealer getting blackjack. Just curious what this would do?

First off if you side count aces INSTEAD of counting them in the main count you aren't using Red7. Your main count would become more unbalanced. If you wanted to maintain the same imbalance KISS2 has the 2 tagged as +0.5 and the 7 tagged as 0. For the decisions you are discussing you would have a different index most likely and the count would be temporarily adjusted for the surplus/deficit aces. That will sometimes change the decision but the correlation of the info used to the decision will be better so each time you make the decision you will add added EV equal to the difference in gain for the more accurate decision whether the decision is changed or not.

If you are asking about side counting aces in addition to counting them in the main count, indices will stay the same but the RC used to make the decision will be adjusted for the ace surplus/deficit. Don't forget this is a temporary adjustment just to make the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackFeign View Post
    Since aces obviously don't have any effect on busting or the dealer getting blackjack. Just curious what this would do?
    Sticking with the latter interpretation of your intent. Obviously taking the ace out of the group that includes the T for insurance will increase the correlation of the info used to make the decision. After all you are betting that the dealer has a T in the hole. For other playing decisions whether the info is used depends on whether it has an effect on the play. If the ace has no effect it will not have an adjustment to the RC or you could say the adjustment is 0.

For taking the ace out of the main count and side counting it instead every index will be affected and the ones the ace is important will have a tailor weighted ace adjustment for the play in question.

What count is similar to Red Seven, but sidecounts the Aces? Where can I find indices for doing this?

I feel like I can use the simplistic Red Seven, while side counting aces to add EV. But I just don't know what the index numbers would end up being as a result of not tagging aces as -1.