See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Down card face down

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Double Down card face down

I've noticed a lot a people here in the Midwest got this new thing been going on for quite a while when they Double Down they want their card face down so they cannot see what it is if I'm playing I just usually ask the dealer if I can see it are the player and usually it's no problem until today. The player had no problem with me seeing it but the dealer would not let me see it at this one particular store I play this is not the first time I've had this problem with the dealers at this place I don't understand it. damn well don't understand getting your card face down if you're that scared to see it why do it. Just frustrating to try to calculate a hand when you have this. but there's nothing you can do but -- I sure am going to cut my tips down but I do believe in tipping if I'm winning but I bet I get a little more time for my tips over this done today and other ones

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk

My local spot I play at they do the same thing, only time they show the card face up is if you play the royal match. I ask the dealers to show me, some do and some don't. Never understood why. I play a lot of single deck and thought that might be part of the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    One reason to ask for a face down is to piss off any AP at the table. Another is to avoid the comments or the sympathetic looks or the ridicule you get when, say you double an 11 against a 10 and get an Ace, (I never double against a ten) so having it face down kills all that. A player is not at a table to help you win, he is in for his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    One reason to ask for a face down is to piss off any AP at the table. Another is to avoid the comments or the sympathetic looks or the ridicule you get when, say you double an 11 against a 10 and get an Ace, (I never double against a ten) so having it face down kills all that. A player is not at a table to help you win, he is in for his own.
    1) 99.9% of other players at the table wouldn't know what an AP was if he/she slapped that player in the face. So almost NOBODY is asking for the card face down to piss off any AP. They're doing it for superstitious reasons or whatever...

2) Are you just trolling us again? I honestly cannot tell? Do you really not follow simple basic strategy (double 11v10)? And do you honestly believe that players are requesting their double down card down so they can irritate a card counter?

It's posts like this that really make me wonder about you.

We are face up here .one store used to have face down but now everything is face up but I'm damn glad of it

Lol they have no idea what an AP players are it's just a surprise could they win with whatever it is that I guess

It sounds like you are playing a shoe game. This kindsa shit happens errrrureeday.
    IF that's the case, it is not that important to see that one card. Train your dealers if you choose and most will oblige as you've said. Definitely not a good idea to push issue with one stubborn dealer even if you're right about policy. Also, insisting to see it every time seems to say I'M A COUNTER, to some extent. You have to really play it off that you are interested in card order, clumping, ten density, all that ploppy BS. This may encourage the stubborn, every man for himself, superstitious to change their card down ways. I've actually changed someone's mind about doing it all the time, unintentionally.

The fact is that one card will only occasionally make a difference for index play decisions. In fact, the only time I ask to see is when I'm on the fence count-wise. This usually means I have a bigger bet out. Which, in turn, means, bc I only ask for it a couple few times, that Mr. Ploppy can settle the hell down with his $5 double if I want to see if he got a ten or not (cover viewpoint, obv..)

Otherwise I wait for dealer to turn over the cards at the end and settle the count for a new round at that point.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    1) 99.9% of other players at the table wouldn't know what an AP was if he/she slapped that player in the face. So almost NOBODY is asking for the card face down to piss off any AP. They're doing it for superstitious reasons or whatever...

2) Are you just trolling us again? I honestly cannot tell? Do you really not follow simple basic strategy (double 11v10)? And do you honestly believe that players are requesting their double down card down so they can irritate a card counter?

It's posts like this that really make me wonder about you.
    I have to agree here. Maybe I should see more history of posts of people before I go defending them...

If you like BJ as a hobby, but maaaaaaaaaybe also want to make some money, do this for a week Zee: DOUBLE ALL YOUR 11s v 10. Hell do it vs A, too. Keep a stat book in yer pocket and in yer head. Update it during breaks. You can practice counting! All I want you to do is note your number of losses and wins. Hell just flat bet the whole time if it's just a hobby and you have no interest in being profitable.

Then come back and tell us how many more units you made by doubling than you would have just hitting when you're all done.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Villiam View Post
    I have to agree here. Maybe I should see more history of posts of people before I go defending them...

If you like BJ as a hobby, but maaaaaaaaaybe also want to make some money, do this for a week Zee: DOUBLE ALL YOUR 11s v 10. Hell do it vs A, too. Keep a stat book in yer pocket and in yer head. Update it during breaks. You can practice counting! All I want you to do is note your number of losses and wins. Hell just flat bet the whole time if it's just a hobby and you have no interest in being profitable.

Then come back and tell us how many more units you made by doubling than you would have just hitting when you're all done.
    I wouldn't even bother, Villiam... In attempt to not derail this tread too much, I'll make this my last comment on the matter. Zee has been offered guidance by many experienced APs for years and still has not shown any effort to improve his game, which is completely fine! His lack of effort has absolutely no affect on me or anyone else. My irritation stems from his ridiculous comments/advice towards newer or inexperienced posters. Newer members might look at these posts and think that Zee's logic is sound common knowledge, which isn't the case majority of the time.

As for the OP: I agree with your comments. One unseen card shouldn't make much of a difference. Especially since that card will eventually be seen by the end of the round. If you persist to see the card and argue with the dealer, it's only going to look suspicious. Having the card dealt face down is pretty common. I see it a lot in the Midwest as well as other parts of the country too.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Villiam View Post
    " ... do this for a week Zee"

This must be a facetious sarcastic statement, as results from the
    (diminishing) rest of his life, would be statistically insignificant.

Note for neophytes:

Doubling 11 vs. Ace is NOT a Basic Strategist's play with S17.

I see it a lot. It just makes things more fun for them as they wait out the suspense.

Used in a tournament, this can be a powerful tactic.

Banned or Suspended

It is more fun as it segments the result.
    The dealer MAY bust before you know
    the result of your double.
    If the dealer "makes a hand" you'll feel
    like you have a "second chance" to win.

This drives me nuts. The funniest part is watching the ploppies go ballistic when the dealer forgets to put the DD card face down and they get a 3 because of it instead of the face they were supposed to get. Good times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast