See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When they mess with you

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    An amateur counter with a small spread at a large store isn't considered an AP immediately, he's just someone trying to enhance his game or 'better than basic.' Most PBs don't look forward to 86ing people and would prefer the person took a hint. Maybe you're not a threat...yet. It's not much of a mystery.

You're also probably reading too much into things. The 'fastest' dealer didn't get dragged out of bed to stop you from winning. The dealer was working the BJ pit that day and had to deal somewhere. You could have went to another table and she wouldn't have followed.
    Last edited by Boz; 06-09-2016 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseGuy View Post
    I've had a dealer switched on me, replaced by one of the fastest dealers I ever played against.
    Cool a pay raise.
    While two suits were watching.
    This should not be a problem since you should be able to keep up without thinking. You know my count is one of the most complicated and I have no problem keeping up and making snap decisions that are accurate. If they are too fast for you use natural looking stall tactics. If you need a list PM me.

Banned or Suspended

Seriously speaking, your BJ skills need to be upgraded to the point
    where game speed does not impede your play or force errors.

You ought to recognize that the faster the dealer is dealing,
    the greater your hands per hour, leading to greater profits.

Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 06-10-2016 at 09:44 AM.

When they mess with you

One time I thought I may be getting heat the supervisor comes over, and started chatting it up with the dealer to the point where she was dealing the cards, talking a minute or two, then checking my hand, talking a minute or two, checking her hand, etc. I was pretty new at the time, and couldn't tell if it was heat, or just bored people. I had been spreading and winning prior to that.

I chose to consider it heat, and left at the point where she was supposed to shuffle. Of course, she wasn't shuffling, just holding the cut card and talking....

Who knows, maybe she just didn't like me and wanted me off her table.

Call it paranoia, but I'm a lot better now, both as a counter and appearing natural, but I haven't been back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    "One time I thought I may be getting heat the supervisor comes over, and started chatting it up with the dealer to the point where she was dealing the cards, talking a minute or two, then checking my hand, talking a minute or two, checking her hand, etc. I was pretty new at the time, and couldn't tell if it was heat, or just bored people. I had been spreading and winning prior to that."
    Not heat at all. Many dealers hate their jobs and would rather do anything rather than deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    You're also probably reading too much into things. The 'fastest' dealer didn't get dragged out of bed to stop you from winning. The dealer was working the BJ pit that day and had to deal somewhere. You could have went to another table and she wouldn't have followed.
    They brought her in and the other dealer had just started her turn at my table. The PB talked to her in her ear and she looked a bit surprised. The new dealer was obviously trying hard to make me lose my count. I took it as a challenge. This was not the first time I was hitting them. I keep my sessions short and I leave when I won or lost enough.

I am pretty sure their purpose was to send me a message and I did what I always do when they send me a message: leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    Not heat at all. Many dealers hate their jobs and would rather do anything rather than deal.
    Which is why I do my best to entertain them and tip them often (especially when the suit is watching).

Lots of dealers get brought in and relieved immediately...it's just a common mix-up. It means absolutely nothing. Whispering something could mean something, nothing, or anything. When I've had a fast dealer who's purpose was to mess me up, the dealer knew how to count (which I knew because I could see her lips moving) and she did a couple other things. She gave me confusing payouts--if I had a green, she'd pay me in 4 reds and 5 whites--but not every time. She was so fast, this would distract me, and I'd not notice the hole card or her bust card--because she paid simultaneously. Another time whispers occur the dealer looks surprised and is not fast--and then I get half-shoed. So unless you noticed anything of a similar nature occurring--obvious countermeasure, attempts to distract you...you might be reading too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

Seriously speaking, your BJ skills need to be upgraded to the point
    where game speed does not impede your play or force errors.

You ought to recognize that the faster the dealer is dealing,
    the greater your hands per hour, leading to greater profits.
    Skills always need to be upgraded when you use them. Which is why I practice every day.

Fast dealers don't scare me. I actually have a crush on that dealer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    She gave me confusing payouts--if I had a green, she'd pay me in 4 reds and 5 whites--but not every time.
    This is a hint to tip. You can tip or not tip but saying something like I will tip what I want when I want and pressuring me to tip will only decrease what you ultimately get in both amount and frequency usually gets rid of this tip hawking behavior.

Another one I like is to tell a dealer openly hawking tips like one saying you should tip that that behavior is the one sure way to get stiffed. Another is if they are sarcastic about your generosity tell them next time I will give a tip we can both agree is stingy because I thought I was generous. I tipped a few greens on a $5K side bet payoff and was talking with another dealer who said that was not a good tip. I commented that if that was the dealers' attitudes I would tip far less so we could all agree it was a cheap tip because I thought it was very generous.

I don't argue tips. I just tip. Dealers who argue over the quality or quantity of a tip should work at the gas station instead and see if they like the tips there.

I don't argue tips. I just tip. Dealers who argue over the quality or quantity of a tip should work at the gas station instead and see if they like the tips there.
    Speaking of gas station tips, I handed 1 enterprising gas station cashier a $100 bill for $49.50 of gas. He gave me back $0.50. A dirty look was required for the other $50.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast