Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the "Heat" Like in Laughlin

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What is the "Heat" Like in Laughlin

Has anyone played blackjack in Laughlin recently? Are they very tolerant of counters or quick to back off? Can you play red chips all day or do they back off anyone they think is counting? Any back off stories appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Has anyone played blackjack in Laughlin recently? Are they very tolerant of counters or quick to back off? Can you play red chips all day or do they back off anyone they think is counting? Any back off stories appreciated.
    I've never been backed off, but I've gotten heat. They are not very tolerant. I've experienced heat playing for comps, with a break-even spread. Their games are terrible.

Their favorite thing to do is the preferential shuffle. Unless you're a significant threat or they really hate you, you should see this countermeasure before you get backed-off. There's an SD in town. They'll shuffle after the first hand if you attempt to raise your bet. They'll shuffle early on some of the DDs around town. The HE on the shoes is intolerable, except for maybe the Golden Nugget. The Aquarius is probably the worst place to play out of anywhere--they only have shoes, lot's of 6:5, $10 min on 3:2, and they have restricted mid-shoe entry rules. The Pioneer is the crumbiest place with the rudest staff; so it's only infinitely better than the Flamingo (Norm should make a thermometer where everything is measured against the Flamingo, which is the equivalent of absolute zero). The Tropicana has the scuzziest patrons. The Edgewater and Colorado Belle are the most crowded. Harrah's is the nicest place, but it is the most expensive and has terrible pen. The best place overall place is probably the Golden Nugget.

Laughlin is not a good place to play.
    Last edited by Boz; 05-24-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Never gotten backed off there, but they seem to go ape shit trying to figure out what's going on if you're max-betting mid black. Haven't played there in a while....I don't see much of a reason to head back, other than possibly do some scouting (that'd likely be a waste of time.....but if you got extra time....may as well right?). From what I remember, lots of D9-11 only games and no DAS.

If you're under 60 (or however old old-people are), you're probably not gonna blend in too well.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Banned or Suspended

You do need an AARP card or a Social Security card to blend in while in Laughlin.
    They have huge parking lots for the Winnebagos. No joke.
    While I have not been there in quite some years, IMO the heat is absolutely torrid
    especially above the $5 level and the rules are BAD.

Just to reiterate:

Laughlin sucks, especially if you're young. I assume you'll get early shuffled on playing red chips. There are better towns in NV to red chip in.

I only played a couple of joints over 3 sessions in Laughlin, as a stopover to a Grand Canyon visit. It wasn't a blackjack trip as such. Regardless, heat was evident - at any stakes played. About the most humorous session was the 15 minutes at DD at the Aquarius. The group I was with were meeting for dinner at the Outback - it was busy and we had to wait. My spread was a paltry 25-125, except for the last hand after my wife said our table was ready - I parlayed the 125 to 250. The glare I got could have melted steel.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    So Boz, have you ever played in the Northern part of the state?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I only played a couple of joints over 3 sessions in Laughlin, as a stopover to a Grand Canyon visit. It wasn't a blackjack trip as such. Regardless, heat was evident - at any stakes played. About the most humorous session was the 15 minutes at DD at the Aquarius. The group I was with were meeting for dinner at the Outback - it was busy and we had to wait. My spread was a paltry 25-125, except for the last hand after my wife said our table was ready - I parlayed the 125 to 250. The glare I got could have melted steel.
    No wonder I could never find any DD, they only have it in what passes for their high limit. What a joke, that place fronts like it's the nicest in town, but it isn't. No DAS, the edge is over .6 on DD, prob near .9 on shoes. Their shabby parking garage makes me think of death. Overcrowded, how there's effectively one lane for a two-way, every corner is blind, and it's about 7 stories high--and any child or unhappy patron could just step through the 3-wire 'guard rail' on each floor and plummet to their death. Saw some idiot playing two hands of $500. He gets a 16 v. 3 on one. He busts. Ploppies galore. If you aren't old and an idiot, you stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    No wonder I could never find any DD, they only have it in what passes for their high limit. What a joke, that place fronts like it's the nicest in town, but it isn't. No DAS, the edge is over .6 on DD, prob near .9 on shoes. Their shabby parking garage makes me think of death. Overcrowded, how there's effectively one lane for a two-way, every corner is blind, and it's about 7 stories high--and any child or unhappy patron could just step through the 3-wire 'guard rail' on each floor and plummet to their death. Saw some idiot playing two hands of $500. He gets a 16 v. 3 on one. He busts. Ploppies galore. If you aren't old and an idiot, you stick out like a sore thumb.
    The Aquarius is the Taj Mahal compared to the Edgewater, where we got rooms on real short notice. What a dump - shower heads conveniently placed at Schvantz level, acting, for some, as a substitute for wifely duties.

The Aquarius DD was mixed in a regular pit, most of which was 6-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The Aquarius is the Taj Mahal compared to the Edgewater, where we got rooms on real short notice. What a dump - shower heads conveniently placed at Schvantz level, acting, for some, as a substitute for wifely duties.

The Aquarius DD was mixed in a regular pit, most of which was 6-5.
    Yeah, compared to Edgewater. But Harrah's and Golden Nugget are both nicer. Aquarius is more on the level of Tropicana and Avi in my opinion.

They don't have a high limit room to my knowledge. I just never saw it. I wouldn't have played it anyway. They got bad $5 DD all over town...I'm not going to pay $25 to play the same horrible game. It's $15 at Harrahs, I assumed that was the highest it got. Just kind of irks me...if $25 is their lowest table, it's like claiming they are the nicest joint. They aren't.

I'd recommend not even playing at the Trop. They are sweaty as hell and will send alerts.

I was backed off at Aquarius before I even raised my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty View Post
    I'd recommend not even playing at the Trop. They are sweaty as hell and will send alerts.

I was backed off at Aquarius before I even raised my bet.
    LOL, really? I never got heat at Trop. I lost big there once, playing with a huge spread. Maybe they don't sweat losers; maybe things changed; maybe it's shift-dependent; maybe they're initially over-tolerant then overcompensate with rudeness and alerts; who knows. I've gotten heat at Edgewater, Avi, Aquarius, Harrahs, and that place with the single deck. Keep in mind I barely have played in the area, and I'm at best, break-even before expenses. I can see Aquarius backing someone off on DD if one even attempted to raise their bet. The paranoia on their shoe games left me in mild awe.
    Last edited by Boz; 05-25-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Banned or Suspended

On balance, Laughlin is the worst BJ venue that I
    have ever played at; other than Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast