See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Loaded answer

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Loaded answer

I was asked by a dealer what is the one variable that defines a blackjack pro? I said i thought it was the ability to suffer through an 18 month downswing.

I guess there's no one variable, but certainly having the intestinal fortitude to suffer a brutal downswing is foundational for the pro. This brings to mind some of the Masterhoudini posts where he cites perseverance as a key to his success.

Other key characteristics that come to mind are: practice and play, practice and play, practice and play, perseverance, perseverance and perseverance.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-21-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What was I thinking?

My apology to all.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I guess there's no one variable, but certainly having the intestinal fortitude to suffer a brutal downswing is foundational for the pro. This brings to mind some of the Masterhoudini posts where he cites perseverance as a key to his success.

Other key characteristics that come to mind are: practice and play, practice and play, practice and play, perseverance, perseverance and perseverance.
    yup, perseverance, perseverance, perseverance...lose your paycheck, get a loan via a car title, get a second mortgage, max out your credit cards....believe in the math, persevere, persevere, persevere....one day you will get your car and your home back...but don't know about the wife...lol.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post

" ...perseverance, perseverance, perseverance...lose your paycheck, get a loan via a car title, get a second mortgage, max out your credit cards....believe in the math, persevere, persevere, persevere....one day you will get your car and your home back...but don't know about the wife...lol."
    If your losses are that severe you are profoundly "overbetting."

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I was asked by a dealer what is the one variable that defines a blackjack pro? I said i thought it was the ability to suffer through an 18 month downswing.
    A dealer who knew what I as up to pointed to a fellow playing blackjack - he's a poker pro he said - has been losing steadily for 5 months. The fellow didn't look the worse for wear, and though losing at BJ, seemed to have a good trip roll. Not a game for the faint of heart.

Banned or Suspended

Indeed, from any rational standpoint, all factors considered, on balance, if you cannot accept
    losing X thousands of dollars during a bad day / week / month this is NOT the game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    If you can't afford to play this game - you can't afford to play this game. The time invested seems to get overlooked by money.
    There is a difference between "playing this game" and "Playing this game right".....I so agree with Moses and above posters. It takes Bankroll.......it takes perseverance............it takes practice.........it takes discipline.......and it takes learning to control your emotions. IF you want to play right. I think that so many forget that to make money, you generally have to HAVE money........or build it starting with smaller steps. Did I mention the other "P" word? Patience!!!

All of these factors can be considered variables in an equation of just WHAT makes a good BJ AP. And how they vary v. remain "constant" can determine a lot about how successful you are AND your win rate. I just think that far, far too many people think this is an easy game and that just because they learned "counting" as a theory, knowing that the game can be beat.......ultimately....................well they just DO NOT acquire all of the various elements of a winning game. It's fun but it ain't easy.............(Unless you are someone like smallcap and have a good sized....make that huge bankroll......with family of means to assist if you fail)..........there ARE no shortcuts!!!

And I mean nothing bad about or to smallcap........it's just that some have their "variables" set at a better number to play or take advantage of this game. LOL
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

"a professional blackjack player? that's ridiculous. nobody wins in this fucking game"