See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New Chat Room

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

New Chat Room

The chat room software is obsolete. It is Java-based, which is a pain to use and no longer works at all with Chrome. They have a new version; but there is no VBulletin connection. That means people can enter the room with another person’s handle. Not acceptable. I’m still looking for a permanent solution; but in the meantime have a temporary one.

At the bottom of every screen, we have had an instant messaging bar from early on. It’s useful for two-person chats between two members that are on their friends list. I’ve installed a new version which adds a real chat room. This is much like the old chat room, allowing multiple people and automatic sign in with your membername. Click on the Chat Room button at the right side of the messaging bar and General to enter. It could be better, but has some advantages:

1. It is not Java-based, and will run on all popular browsers without installing an add-in.
    2. You can detach it (button in upper right corner) and keep it up as you browse the forum.
    3. There is a mobile version for most mobile devices. It took me a couple tries to get it to work and you can’t be in TapaTalk. When it works, you will see a floating tab in the lower-right corner. Click to enter.
    4. The software resides on my server instead of a third-party, and is therefore encrypted. If you pop out the chat window, you should see a security icon at the upper-right. Click to see if it is encrypted. So, Sheldon Adelson won’t be listening in.

One disadvantage is that you will see previous messages when you enter the room. I don’t know how far back this goes yet.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thanks Norm.

Is there a way to encrypt posts so only people that the poster personally vetted can view them? I posted a rare gem that was destined to be deleted in my latest thread in the subscription forum last night. I deleted it after leaving it up overnight. I almost didn't post it but Don calling one of my statements voodoo made me explain something that is best to keep in a close knit circle. It was pretty interesting because it showed how variance is so misunderstood and short term swing control and steady BR growth comes from bets made with the highest variance. Anyway this is counterintuitive and paradoxical and being able to wong to favor playing these deck compositions is a powerful tool toward steady BR growth. I would love to have been able to leave it up with some sort of permission to read it but some things should not be viewed by the wrong people. Is there some sort of encrypt to post sensitive info for people I vetted. I could be much more direct about what I am talking about.

Blog Entries

No.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Too bad. It would lead to discussions in more detail about topics you won't openly post about in a forum that allows everyone to view it.

Norm,

Does this mean we lost access to your Arrow Chat feature, which let me know which "friended" users are online. I can't see those tabs any longer.

This is what the bottom of my browser screen now displays:

Never mind, can't attach a screen grab image file. My browser had boxes moving left from the bottom right, with the names of users, and if online, I could arrow chat with them before. Now, I have three (3) boxes from the left, moving right, first has Chat (0), then the next has Chat Rooms, and then a small box with a radio button that apparently can move left or right(?) At moment, can't do anything with any of these three boxes.

Using Firefox and Safari on a MacBook Pro (mid-2012 with OS X 10.11.4),
    Last edited by Frank Galvin; 04-01-2016 at 08:58 AM.
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Blog Entries

I cleared the CDN cache. See if it works now.

BTW, at least for the moment, nonsubscribers can use the chat room.

Banned or Suspended

Oops !

Clicking on "Chat Room" (menu bar - 3rd from the left)
    actually loops back to this forum thread. April Fools Joke ?

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Read it. The Chat Rooms button is at the bottom.
    Last edited by Norm; 04-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    The Chat Rooms button is at the bottom.
    Sensei,

Oops. "My bad."

However, those buttons, clicked upon, are seemingly without effect (thus far);

Blog Entries

Click on Chat Rooms. There is currently one room. It should show the number of members in the room. Click on it to enter the room.

If this doesn't work, close all instances of your browser to clear the cache. You may have JScript from the old version of the bar.

Bonjour, je cherche les phrases et les mots typiques en français quand on joue Blackjack. Est-ce qu'il y a une personne qui peut me les dire?

Blog Entries