Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you win at blackjack without counting cards

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Can you win at blackjack without counting cards

I have been playing for about a year. Up and down game...mostly down. Seem like I am playing the same lousy hands over and over; even when moving tables. Can the shoe game be beaten. or to have a chance of winning at BJ...is counting card needed. Do you think the card are being shuffled by machine...same bad hands over and over again....(13-16)...l

Quote Originally Posted by bumpneely3535 View Post
    I have been playing for about a year. Up and down game...mostly down. Seem like I am playing the same lousy hands over and over; even when moving tables. Can the shoe game be beaten. or to have a chance of winning at BJ...is counting card needed. Do you think the card are being shuffled by machine...same bad hands over and over again....(13-16)...l
    Shoe and pitch games are beatable by counting cards. Playing the flow, and other non counting card systems will not yield long term profitable results.

No. Blackjack cannot be beaten without counting. The shuffling machines have nothing to do with the poor hands you're being dealt. That's selective memory...

The shoe game CAN be beaten. You'll need to learn a counting system, be sufficiently funded, and you'll need to practice, practice, and practice. I'll mention that I did start with a tiny "bankroll", but I took the "Hail Mary" approach and came out alive due to having positive variance on my side.

Good luck, if you choose to move forward in upping your BJ game.

Blog Entries

What kinds of machine ? There are two different machines.
    ASM & CSM. CSM is no good for the counters.

Quote Originally Posted by greg16394 View Post
    what kinds of machine ? There are two different machines.
    Asm & csm. Csm is no good for the counters.
    asm

Counting cards at bj is the most basic way of beating it. It is possible to beat it by non counting but not the way you think i assumed.If you win on pushes a lot you can beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by stopgambling View Post
    Counting cards at bj is the most basic way of beating it. It is possible to beat it by non counting but not the way you think i assumed.If you win on pushes a lot you can beat it.
    Please explain that for me. WIN ON PUSHES??? I cannot wrap my simple mind around that comment, since I do not believe that by definition, one can win when the result is a tie.
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

The wink! It has 2 meanings. Don't think conventionally . Sorry it should say "win" with the quotes.

Jacobson has an article on the probability of a lucky basic strategy player having a lifetime win.

His calculations showed one percent of perfect basic strategy players would still have a lifetime win at 478,000 hands. If a player is less than perfect (1% disadvantage) there is still one percent of players that will be ahead at 71,500 hands.

http://apheat.net/2014/07/10/getting...-at-blackjack/

I have yet to meet a perfect basic strategy player who is not an AP. I have met a few square players that have reported multi-year winning streaks.

So it's possible for a player to have a lifetime win without counting, but unlikely.

Two other strategies besides counting are hole-carding and shuffle tracking. But even shuffle tracking is an advanced form of card counting. One thing try I do is to buy insurance on others' hands when the count warrants it. These are always people with whom I am well acquainted. Strangers are taboo.

Playing off the top player edge promos. Ace tracking. Dealer errors. Hole carding. Scavenger plays. Theses all give the player an edge or cut down on the house edge.
    Last edited by Three; 02-23-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Banned or Suspended

"I am playing the same lousy hands over and over"
    True Dat'! If you think about it, you will realize that your "stiff
    hands are the majority of all hands. That is the nature of the beast.

Surprised someone hasn't posted the statistical bell curve. Even with a negative win rate, at some point along the path you might be in a positive position JUST by playing basic strategy. I didn't find any one of these on Norm's BJ Resources but someone else might have access to it. LOL

But over all, since there is a negative expectation in the long run.........even if the margin is relatively small, you will have a result that slowly progresses downward over time.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast