See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing probability of civil asset forfeiture

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Reducing probability of civil asset forfeiture

Nexus card - joint project between US Customs Border Patrol and Canadian Border Services Agency - Google it.

As a resident of Canada, civil asset forfeiture is a topic I don't worry about. Our laws are somewhat more civilized in this regard as opposed to US residents.

I just applied for a Nexus card. Essentially, as an approved trusted traveller, this fastracks you through both US and Canada Customs. It just occurred to me that possession of this card can help US residents (and Canadian travellers) from that dreaded - mind if I search your car stuff. Still the issue of course, is the of the out of control goon.

Approval of the card requires security checks from both US and Canadian security agencies as well as an interview from both Canada and US customs. Cost is USD 50, and card lasts for 5 years. Process is about 6 weeks. Specific rules apply to keep the card in good standing. Food for thought.

So, if someone is pulled on the road in Arizona, will show them the card to show that he is a trusted traveler?I would say that the majority of police officers will have no idea what that card is.

Could you explain the advantages this card would have over a conventional passport? I understand that a passport is only approved in one country but I still don't see how if you were pulled over this would help more than any other form of identification.

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughHeat View Post
    Could you explain the advantages this card would have over a conventional passport? I understand that a passport is only approved in one country but I still don't see how if you were pulled over this would help more than any other form of identification.
    A conventional passport is still a part of the documents required at airports. The Nexus card is an acceptable alternate form of identification at land crossings. The card allows you to go into the nexus line, which normally provides for faster security clearance (as in 30 seconds to 2 minutes vs 20-30 minutes or even longer. There are benefits for domestic travel as well. The card with CBP and CBSA markings, in themselves, will not protect you at a traffic stop with a rogue cop. I'm merely suggesting that possession of the card, along with other forms of I identification is proof of a far more more thorough background check
    than what the cops can do from their patrol car - and therefore, cop suspicions should be reduced significantly.

1. Understand the "stop and identify" laws where you are travelling
    2. Be able to prove the cash is yours (bank records, tax records, etc.)
    3. Record police officers during all interactions (check state laws on this, but almost always legal)
    4. Do not talk to police officers in most situations. This helps your argument that they had no cause for the search/seizure.
    The Cash Cow.

Banned or Suspended

As I have said before, I carry 5 (or even 6) figures in cash.
    I carry bank receipts showing perfectly legal and diligently
    recorded cash transactions, along with my Bank Manager's
    business card. These precautions have always served me well.

Y M M V

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Nice discussion is going here. .The people whose property is seized in civil asset forfeiture actions are generally people accused of crimes, and they don't have much clout in legislative bodies. But if you want to know more about this then you should consult a good attorney like Sebastian Ohanian from Law Office of Sebastian Ohanian who will give you the brief idea about this.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If you're using cryptos, you needn't fret the asset forfiture laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendersonbennett View Post
    you should consult a good attorney like Sebastian Ohanian
    Let me write that down...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    If you're using cryptos, you needn't fret the asset forfiture laws.
    ...only massive variance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If variance frightens you, you shouldn't be in the game.

What if your cash is in a safe bolted down in your trunk... can they force you to open it?

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    What if your cash is in a safe bolted down in your trunk... can they force you to open it?
    With a warrant, yes. If you don't, they will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast