Thread: CVData and side bets

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

CVData and side bets

I'm trying to sim a side bet and am having trouble setting it up right. I'm not sure if it will even be possible. I want to bet the side bet above certain counts. I see how to do that. But I have two other conditions before placing the bet. First I have to have an active hand, i.e. I didn't bust my hand when playing it, and I didn't get a blackjack. This bet is placed after you play your hand, but before the dealer exposes their downcard. Also, in addition to only playing it above a certain count, I only want to play it when facing specific dealer upcards.

Can this be simmed in CVData?

Blog Entries

The custom side bet code was developed at a time when side bets were always placed before the deal. I need to make it easier for bets that occur later. To handle this now, you would need to create additional side bets that cover the times when you would not make a side bet that just pays you back the amount bet, nullifying the bet.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Okay, thanks Norm. I'll try to set that up.

I'm pretty sure I want to select "Side Bets are merged" as there is only one side bet to place, but it pays differently depending on dealer up card and amount bet. When I select that option and then start the sim, in the Won/Lost -> Custom Side Bets screen, I only see information for a single side bet. Is that information I'm seeing the cumulative amount for all the different side bets I set up (one for each different payout)? If so, I must still have some problems in my setup as I'm seeing a 55% player edge, when I think it should be somewhere between 15% - 30%.

Blog Entries

Yes, that's what it means and that's how it displays.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Okay, I'm getting closer then. I think I just don't quite have the bets set up right to pay me back the amount bet, in order to nullify it when I wouldn't be betting. I believe that ignoring times when I get a blackjack and can't make the bet, the two other cases where I won't bet are 1) when I bust and 2) when the dealer shows certain upcards I don't bet against.

For the first case, when I bust, I believe I can set a single side bet whose only parameters are player hand >21, 1 split hand, and DD Hands count. Now how does the sidebet get handled in the case of player hands busting? Do you automatically lose your original bet or is it just based on the parameters of the side bet, independent of what happens to your hand? If it's independent then I think I just want to say I win 0 in those cases which would give me back what I bet. If the sim will say I lose the original bet because I busted my hand, then I want to say I win 1.0 so that I get that amount that I bet back.

For the second case, not playing against specific upcards, I've created separate side bets for each upcard that I won't place the bet against. I set the parameters as Dealer initial upcard set to the card (6 for example) and then player hand <22, 1 split hand, and DD Hands count. I believe the first case of a busted hand playing against a dealer upcard 6 in this example, is already covered by the first case above. So this is just when I face a dealer up card of 6 and don't bust my hand, I want the amount of my initial side bet back. So I set the win to 0. Does that sound right?

I think my results are looking closer but still not right. I think I have the second set of cases set correctly when I face upcards I don't want to bet against and my own hand didn't bust, I think the right thing is to set the win to 0.

I'm mainly thinking that I don't have the case when I bust my hand set correctly. I'm not sure if it needs to be set to win 0 or 1 or something else. I feel like if I set it to 1 then I am getting paid for busting, but then again, if I am losing my original side bet because I busted, then that would be the correct way to set it up to simulate not playing the side bet in the case of a bust.

Blog Entries

Go to Tools-Export, create an export file, and e-mail it.

I exported the files and emailed them to you. When you have some time, I'd appreciate any input.