See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Story - Insurance Vs. "Even Money"

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Funny Story - Insurance Vs. "Even Money"

I was playing the other day. The TC was at +6 and my bet was at 2 x $200. Dealer shows an ace, so I quickly scan all the cards on the table and update my count to +4. I instinctively plop down $200 in the insurance spot to cover both my bets. Problem was that I did this before I noticed that I had blackjack on one of the hands. So the confusion sets in re: insuring a blackjack.

The dealer tries to educate me that I should not insure the blackjack and that I should take "even money", otherwise I'll come out behind on that hand. I try to explain that my insurance is the same thing as "even money". She insists at great length that I'm making the wrong move and the other two plops at the table are agreeing with her and looking at me like I'm a dumbass.

Fuhgeddaboudit - so I pull back the $100 of insurance on the BJ hand and I said - "even money on the blackjack". All was well and I thanked the dealer for saving me from myself....

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Would be interesting to take even money and leave the insurance bet out

Too bad you can't use calculators at the table...

It's amazing isn't it? I had the same thing happen (essentially) this past weekend while playing. The guy next to me who had a blackjack, tried to explain that taking "even money" was better than insurance and the dealer agreed. I tried to explain it was exactly the same but didn't get too far nor did I want to educate anyone at this table or get into an argument. But it's amazing what people think..........without actually figuring out the numbers.

Of course if it was ONLY a 6-5 table THEN they might be ON to something!!!! LOL
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Would be interesting to take even money and leave the insurance bet out
    Good point - missed opportunity...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Tthree... becoming a meme master ala.... you know who

Actually, that meme you posted was quite hilarious... and you're not (to my knowledge) and anti Semite
    Peace
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Banned or Suspended

"anti Semite"

HUH ?

Ha, I had the exact same conversation with a dealer about a month ago. I asked "isn't even money just a short cut for insurance?" to which he replied "Oh no, they're 2 completely different things..." When I looked a bit puzzled like I didn't believe him he said "Or I've just been dealing for about 6 years, what would I know about the game." I didn't say anything further, but of course we'd all lose to respond with "Clearly not very much..." lol.

I missed the opportunity too! Next time this happens I'm going to insure and take even money... When the dealer has BJ let's see if I can get paid 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Romes View Post
    When the dealer has BJ let's see if I can get paid 2-1.
    Twice!

Freeze the game in its Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I instinctively plop down $200 in the insurance spot to cover both my bets. Problem was, one of my hands was a blackjack.
    Want to stop a blackjack game cold? Try taking Insurance for less with Blackjack against an Ace up.

Quote Originally Posted by metronome View Post
    Tthree... becoming a meme master ala.... you know who

Actually, that meme you posted was quite hilarious... and you're not (to my knowledge) and anti Semite
    Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

"anti Semite"

HUH ?
    If I got the "inside" joke, it's a reference to a different person posting on a different site. Nothing against you by any means Flash
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MJGolf View Post
    it's a reference to a different person posting on a different site.
    So you were referring to someone posing as me on the evil site with the antisemites and haters?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast