Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do Basic strategies in CVBJ and CVCX differ?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Norm, with single deck CVData, I notice you can not set fixed rounds under setup when computing indices and the instructions say to be sure to check the fixed cut card box. If you do check fixed rounds, you get a message when you start the sim that says: "The starting card is too high". This is located in the options block on the indexes tab. The lowest you can set it is 1.

In any event, I think the indices would probably be the same. Is this so?
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have penetration set so that only one round is dealt. That's not a valid setting for index generation.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Getting back to my original question, is there a way to check in CVCX, when I go to view my sim, what count and settings I used? Also, I'm trying to run a simulation on the Complete Zen Count (as it's called in the dropdown menu) using only the sweet 16 but every time I try to run it in CVData, it uses all the indexes. Also, when I do this, it has the "affecting options" of DAS and Multiple Deck checked and greyed out. I want to uncheck them but it won't let me.

Blog Entries

Please read the documentation. Effecting option are a part of building a strategy because a strategy can have many different decisions based upon rules. BUT, only the relevant strategy, according to the rules, will be used when running the sim. There is no reason to turn of irrelevant options as they will not be used in a sim where they are not relevant.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    CVCX is a parallel simulator. That is, it can sim for different rules sets in the same run. Therefore, there is no one strategy as it has to change it during the run. So, when you click on Display Tables, it doesn't know which tables to show you.
    OK.
    But Help say :

Display Tables
    Click here to view the table contents given the options and index range settings described above.
    In fact, it use Single Deck option even if "Multiple deck" is set

ScreenShot7.jpg
    Last edited by Phoebe; 01-17-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries

The Affecting Options box does NOT select the rules to be simmed. Multiple Deck means that both single and multiple rules are included in the strategy. Read the Help for that page for more info.

I had read Help but apparently misunderstood.

Display Tables
    Click here to view the table contents given the options and index range settings described above.
    Yes, "Index range settings" is described above.
    But what mean "options" ?
    Last edited by Phoebe; 01-17-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Each strategy file can contain multiple strategies for different rules. The Affecting Options in the strategy tell the sim how many strategies are included. If none of the options are on, there is only one strategy. If you turn on Multiple Deck, that means strategies for both multiple and single deck are included and the correct one will be selected according to the rules set for the sim. If you turn it off, the sim will always use the single-deck strategy. Basically, this box is only used to force the sim to use the wrong strategy. You should very rarely use this box, and I may remove it in the future.

OK. It's clear.
    Far more clear than Help.
    A humble request: it would be fine to check indexes for strategies who will be run.
    By "Define/Edit strategy", you have to reopen strategy and aggregate 2 or 3 tables (with ENHC).

This box could be reused for this purpose. No change in interface.
    Last edited by Phoebe; 01-17-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Blog Entries

CVCX can run multiple sets of rules/decks in one run, automatically switching between strategies in the strategy file. So, it does not know what the rules are going to be when you are on that screen.

Yes.
    But, as I said in my edit,you could reuse this box (if you plan to remove it)
    Today "Display Table" is a trap. A best, you don't know what you see. At worst you see a bad table.
    Last edited by Phoebe; 01-17-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Blog Entries

That would confuse older users. It has had this meaning for 22 years.

Exact.
    But who use this box ? And you could for instance put "Display Table" in this Box.

Of course, that's only a suggestion. For me, I will use CVBJ to display tables.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast