Thread: A question for Bosox

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A question for Bosox

I composed this for a thread that was just closed but I am still curious. Bosox had declared a long and successful history using hilo.

Bosox, I am curious if you simply use hilo or combine it with other techniques to increase your edge. Either way is fine. Winning is winning, and having the BR and stomach to withstand the expected swings is all that is required for any system. They all are mathematically sound and the requirement stated is what is required to be comfortable and successful with any system. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses and system choice should be based as much on these very personal aspects as to the opportunities you choose to target.

I have been invited to join teams that target specific side bets and other specific opportunities. Often the best count choice is not one you would normally pick for the main bet. The added variance to these side bets fits a large team playing a shared BR well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I composed this for a thread that was just closed but I am still curious. Bosox had declared a long and successful history using hilo.

Bosox, I am curious if you simply use hilo or combine it with other techniques to increase your edge. Either way is fine. Winning is winning, and having the BR and stomach to withstand the expected swings is all that is required for any system. They all are mathematically sound and the requirement stated is what is required to be comfortable and successful with any system. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses and system choice should be based as much on these very personal aspects as to the opportunities you choose to target.

I have been invited to join teams that target specific side bets and other specific opportunities. Often the best count choice is not one you would normally pick for the main bet. The added variance to these side bets fits a large team playing a shared BR well.
    Bosox
    I want to make it clear that my comments were in context to the thread and more specifically to KJ, with his maniacal desire to stifle commentary on other approaches. Hi Lo gets the money - we all know that. I know several long term successful Hi Lo counters. We also are well aware, that hi Lo, like anything else, can be tweaked. I'm also quite aware that hi Lo, when coupled with other AP activities, can be very formidable. It was not my intent to offend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Bosox, I am curious if you simply use hilo or combine it with other techniques to increase your edge.
    Tthree, Other than an extra 5 dozen index plays beyond I18,an Catch22 that I learned prior to them being published not much else. I am able to get many hands per hour white rabbit style and you do not need huge spreads playing this way. I know tolerance levels that are accepted, and I know who gives the best cuts, and think I have a good act.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Ned? Ned Ryerson? Is that you? Bing. Bosox. You seem like a bright guy. Able to drive a car, probably invest in stocks, have kids.,etc.. I'm curious why you have not/never considered even the slighest jump to improve your game? I'm not a judger. Just interested in hearing your point of view.
    Moses, no I am not ned. Yes I can drive a car LOL. Since I started playing Blackjack, it has always been a very serious sideline for me. I have no excuse other than poor eyesight that prevented me from learning some other AP plays from some excellent pro's who wanted to teach me, and a few others and I passed because of full time work.
    Last edited by BoSox; 11-21-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Hi Lo gets the money - we all know that. I know several long term successful Hi Lo counters. We also are well aware, that hi Lo, like anything else, can be tweaked. I'm also quite aware that hi Lo, when coupled with other AP activities, can be very formidable. It was not my intent to offend.
    Freightman, no problem. I respect everyone here and prefer to take a low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Tthree, Other than an extra 5 dozen index plays beyond I18,an Catch22 that I learned prior to them being published not much else. I am able to get many hands per hour white rabbit style and you do not need huge spreads playing this way. I know tolerance levels that are accepted, and I know who gives the best cuts, and think I have a good act.
    That's great. You seem to either be BR'ed enough to handle the swings fine or your approach helps control them. I am glad to hear from a successful hilo player that doesn't complain about the swings. I know after reading the chapter in Don's book about wonging, I immediately put it to use by white rabbiting and hit my biggest win to that date the first day I tried it. It was the perfect shoe with nothing but great matchup with double downs and split and BJ's flowing steadily. I don't think I lost more than 1 hand once the count got me to my top bet. I surrendered one hand and won all the rest of the bets I made. At the time my BR was rather small, a little over $10K, so the win meant a lot both to my confidence and my BR. I was expecting to hear you used some more advanced techniques but don't fix what ain't broke as they say. I assume a good supply of discipline and a very serious attitude is a large part of your success. The scouting you mentioned is also overlooked by too many new to the game. I hope they read your posts and learn just what it takes to survive those early and challenging months rather than learning things the hard way. I know mentoring saved me from learning a lot of things the hard way if I was fortunate to pick the lessons up on my own. I am glad to hear you mention your contact with experienced AP's as well. I am sure you found them a valuable resource and had enough sense to ask good questions and really listen to them.
    Last edited by Three; 11-21-2015 at 11:18 PM.