See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those interested in "Advanced" Counts:

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    I read through some of Mr. McGarvey's Faces & Aces (thanx to Flash for sharing) last evening, particularly the parts concerning Hi-lo. On page 45, Rob listed true count frequencies for a 6 deck game, which at first glance looked high to me. The next page, 46, started off with a comment “about 35% the time we will get a true count of +2 or better”, which caused me to take an even closer look at those TC frequencies.

Now there was no mention as to penetration, which greatly influences the true count frequencies, but he did mention in another section playing a six deck game with 1 deck cut off, with is pretty good penetration. So, I compared Rob's numbers with the numbers that I use, from Don's Blackjack Attack 3 and Norm's software and Rob's numbers are far different, in most cases 3-4 times higher. For example, at a TC of +5 Rob lists a true count frequency of 4.06, which is about 3 times higher than the 1.36 in BJ3?

I realize Rob in not here for us to question and and I suspect no one (flash) knows how Rob came up with these numbers. I am just trying to figure out if I missed something or misread or misunderstood something? One scenario that made a little bit of sense is that maybe these numbers were for a higher level count like Hi-Opt 2, which Rob covers later in the book, and his mistakenly used these frequencies in the Hi-lo section. I don't know? I just know I would love to get these kinds of true count frequencies. If I could, I would be retired by now.

Again, my intent is not to criticize Rob's work, but to understand and while he is not here to clarify, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about his methods or what I may be missing or misunderstanding.
    Never read it - don't think you missed - sounds super artificially high. Sim must have been on steroids. Not in front of CVCX, 1.0 deck cut probably around 18-20% over TC 1.99

Blog Entries

McGarvey was mostly into online bonus hustling.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Banned or Suspended

McGarvey was less than academically rigorous.

I did NOT endorse his book in any way.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

McGarvey was less than academically rigorous.

I did NOT endorse his book in any way.

No, I wasn't suggesting that you were endorsing. I just though maybe you knew where or how he came up with these figures. He has rather precise true count frequency figures, four or five spots past the decimal point for each true count, but they just don't match or come close to matching similar TC frequencies that I am familiar with from sources such as Norm and Don.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    No, I wasn't suggesting that you were endorsing. I just though maybe you knew where or how he came up with these figures. He has rather precise true count frequency figures, four or five spots past the decimal point for each true count, but they just don't match or come close to matching similar TC frequencies that I am familiar with from sources such as Norm and Don.
    I know where I would put my money

The frequency of a true count depends on the method being used to define true count in the first place. It will be different for rounding than for flooring. Rounding produces higher frequencies with lower edges. Flooring produces lower frequencies with higher edges.

Don

I reread the thread. The higher frequencies mentioned aren't close to being right, no matter which method of estimating TC one uses. Only conclusion is that McGarvey is obviously wrong.

Don

OMG...I Googled Aces and Faces Blackjack book and found this link. I too knew Rob, but only through online correspondence. We talked almost daily back in the heyday of online bonus hustling. I was just youngster then and he was always very supportive and kind. He sent me a signed copy of his book which I still own. I was saddened to hear of his passing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123