See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Struggling with splits, using HiLo

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Please no LOL
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    "I haven't compared the two sources, but presumably there are no differences?"
    I assign you the all-important task of comparing these two crucial sources,
    and reporting to the huddled masses, who CLAIM that they have enough
    money to be playing BJ, but too little to purchase the invaluable ~
    BLACKJACK ATTACK (3rd ed.) THEN, we will certainly have a substantive
    issue to discuss in depth, instead of picking on poor little old ZeeBabar !
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 11-11-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    You really wanted me to write: "There are no differences of which I know"? Gimme a break!

Don
    At the risk of risking the wrath of DS, I would restate the sentence at issue to read as follows: "There are no known differences."
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Then suddenly, he was struck by a powerful but simple little truth, and it was this: that English grammar is governed by rules that are almost mathematical in their strictness!
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metronome View Post
    Then suddenly, he was struck by a powerful but simple little truth, and it was this: that English grammar is governed by rules that are almost mathematical in their strictness!
    Dahl also wrote: “I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.”
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I employ that strategy all the time in my business, that's why I get to be the boss
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If you are afraid to lose 2-4 times your max bet in a single hand your max bet is too big. Second you should not split 3's vs a 8 or higher only split against a 7 or less. You should never split 4's even if the dealer has a 5-6 up with a high count against a 5-6 you should double instead other wise hit. Buy a copy of playing blackjack as a business and look at gain or loss for each blackjack play.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartblackjack View Post
    If you are afraid to lose 2-4 times your max bet in a single hand your max bet is too big. Second you should not split 3's vs a 8 or higher only split against a 7 or less. You should never split 4's even if the dealer has a 5-6 up with a high count against a 5-6 you should double instead other wise hit. Buy a copy of playing blackjack as a business and look at gain or loss for each blackjack play.
    If DAS is allowed, it is better to split 4-4 against a 5 or 6 in a high count. If no DAS allowed, then double. (Wong, Professional Blackjack, Table 13, pg 60)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Second you should not split 3's vs a 8 or higher only split against a 7 or less.
    There is an index for this play for hilo (the OP's count of choice). The EV maximizing index gain is so minimal that you should probably never use it. RA index would be not to split at all just as you suggest. Look at the gain in the interactive graph in the link below. The count tags of Hilo have almost no correlation to the play as can be seen by the fact that BS and Hilo have almost the same EV at every TC.

https://www.card-counting.com/cvcxonlineviewer3.htm
    You should never split 4's even if the dealer has a 5-6 up with a high count against a 5-6 you should double instead other wise hit.
    This point is debated heavily over and over again. I agree with your position on choice from a RA standpoint when both indices are in play and the doubling index is exceeded by enough against a 5. I don't agree about not splitting when only the splitting index is in play. We tend to be in the minority camp so newbies take that for what it is worth. When discussing these things your count needs to be considered and I use a level 2 count so YMMV.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456