Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural 21

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Natural 21

Hey All,

I'm curious. Has anyone ever doubled down on a natural 21 just for the fun of it? If so, what were the conditions and what was the reaction from the table/dealer/pit.

FerrisB

Some places don't allow it but no, I never have. Yes to doubling after catching an ace after splitting 10s. Not the same thing.

A very important play in some tournament situations, which isn't always allowed. This is true of both naturals and of soft 21's dealt after splitting 10s (and sometimes aces).

I play Blackjack Switch once in while for fun and double it there. Other players go batty but pit could care less on the carny game.

There are indexes to double 10-Ace vs 4,5,6 after spltting 10's and yes, people do it.

That's not a natural 21 and doesn't get paid 3:2. Anyone would have to be out of his f**kin' mind to double a natural 21 in a normal BJ game.

Don

Doubling down a natural 21, if allowed, should be done if and only if the dealer's hole card AND the top card are known, and only if the top card gives you an end value higher than the dealer's already pat hand of 17-20.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisB View Post
    Has anyone ever doubled down on a natural 21 just for the fun of it?
    I take the Fifth.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    There are indexes to double 10-Ace vs 4,5,6 after spltting 10's and yes, people do it.
    Yes, if the count is high enough to warrant splitting T,Tvs6, S17, DAS (TC+4 or more), it is sometimes also high enough to double T,Avs6. If you end up with T,Avs6 on one or more of the hands the index is TC+6 to double. The T,A does not pay 3:2 making the optimal play to double it at +6 or greater in this scenario. This point brought up by BigPlayer not only proves to me that he didn't just start playing this game last week but also that he can truly take lemons and make it into lemonade by providing something worthwhile on this otherwise nonsensical thread. Has someone ever doubled down on a natural just to prove they are a mental patient? Probably...
    Last edited by Tarzan; 10-02-2015 at 01:44 AM.

I dealt to a player, he got a blackjack, and I jokingly asked if he wanted to double down. As I was bringing money out of the tray (or rack...always forget wtf it's called), he said, "Yeah sure! Let's do it!" and he put his money out there. Worst part is, I had a ten showing. I tried convincing him NOT to double down (I only asked jokingly if he wanted to DD)....but he wouldn't budge, he insisted he wanted to double. So I called the floor person over, asked if he could double // called "cheques play" and the whole 9 yards....I didn't wanna get into trouble if he ended up losing. Floor person tried to convince him not to double. Yada yada yaa....

Long story short, he doubled down. I don't remember what card he got, a 4 or 5 IIRC....it wasn't lookin' good. Well, sure enough, just as you'd expect -- I turned over a little card then proceeded to bust. This guy earned his extra 1/2 bet, the hard way, that's for sure.

So yeah, people have done it. So far, it's worked 100% of the time.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStoned View Post
    I dealt to a player, he got a blackjack, and I jokingly asked if he wanted to double down. As I was bringing money out of the tray (or rack...always forget wtf it's called), he said, "Yeah sure! Let's do it!" and he put his money out there. Worst part is, I had a ten showing. I tried convincing him NOT to double down (I only asked jokingly if he wanted to DD)....but he wouldn't budge, he insisted he wanted to double. So I called the floor person over, asked if he could double // called "cheques play" and the whole 9 yards....I didn't wanna get into trouble if he ended up losing. Floor person tried to convince him not to double. Yada yada yaa....

Long story short, he doubled down. I don't remember what card he got, a 4 or 5 IIRC....it wasn't lookin' good. Well, sure enough, just as you'd expect -- I turned over a little card then proceeded to bust. This guy earned his extra 1/2 bet, the hard way, that's for sure.

So yeah, people have done it. So far, it's worked 100% of the time.
    Doubling a blackjack is the most moronic thing that I ever heard of. If the dealer doesnt have an ace or 10 you have a 100% chance of winning a 150% of your bet. In a tournament it is stupid too because blackjacks are paid 2 to 1. If you double down you have a chance to lose the hand and the lose is a 450% lose example if you bet $10 if you just stayed you would have $25 the $10 plus $15 in winnings. If you double down you have $20 out there. If you lose you lost $45 if you win you won an extra $5.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smartblackjack View Post
    In a tournament it is stupid too because blackjacks are paid 2 to 1.
    Not all tournaments pay 2 to 1 for a natural. I once failed to advance because my opponent had taken the low over my possible natural. The only way I could advance was to win a double or a split while he lost. I was instead dealt a natural and they would not let me double. It was the worse possible hand I could have been dealt. Hard 19 would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Not all tournaments pay 2 to 1 for a natural. I once failed to advance because my opponent had taken the low over my possible natural. The only way I could advance was to win a double or a split while he lost. I was instead dealt a natural and they would not let me double. It was the worse possible hand I could have been dealt. Hard 19 would have been better.
    In that case why didnt you bet all your money on the hand?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast