Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three simultaenous chess games while blindfolded!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Three simultaenous chess games while blindfolded!

For those who have difficulty keeping the running count, a side count or two, or multiple counts in their heads, perhaps this video may inspire you to keep improving.

This is the #1 rated chess player in the world, Magnus Carlsen, playing three simultaneous games of chess blindfolded.

Outstanding display of visual memory!

Games start at 6m40s.

Edit: woops, typo in the title.
    Simultaneous* not simultaenous. Pressed one key before the other.

He can do a lot more than 3 boards blindfolded without the clock. I doubt I could do 1 blindfolded. If I could I would probably lose. LOL

Off the charts impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    He can do a lot more than 3 boards blindfolded without the clock. I doubt I could do 1 blindfolded. If I could I would probably lose. LOL

Off the charts impressive.
    I played a friend of my brothers when I was 16 or so. He played with his back to the table. Game took 2 hours or so, but he best me. He was a great poker player - profession wise was an insurance actuary. He would have made a great card counter. Have to ask my brother where this guy is these days.

Most games in blindfold exhibitions

Miguel Najdorf played against 45 opponents in a simultaneous blindfold exhibition given at Sao Paulo in 1947, winning 39, losing 2 and drawing 4 games (after a similar display in Rosario, Argentina, in 1943, against 40 players).[105] Later Janos Flesch (52 games) claimed to have broken this record, but his exhibition was not properly monitored and so it was not recognized.[106] In November 2011, little-known German master Marc Lang broke Najdorf's record, playing 46 opponents.[107]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ld_exhibitions

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    For those who have difficulty keeping the running count, a side count or two, or multiple counts in their heads, perhaps this video may inspire you to keep improving.

This is the #1 rated chess player in the world, Magnus Carlsen, playing three simultaneous games of chess blindfolded.

Outstanding display of visual memory!

Games start at 6m40s.

Edit: woops, typo in the title.
    Simultaneous* not simultaenous. Pressed one key before the other.
    This guy should move into blackjack. More money and better comps.

Blog Entries

This is a skill so incredible, I wouldn't want it. Imagine living with a mind that cannot forget.

Mick Jagger said: "I must be careful not to get trapped in the past. That's why I tend to forget my songs."
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    This guy should move into blackjack. More money and better comps.
    No doubt he would be a great counter, but I'd like to see the look on his face the first time he loses 8 big bets in a row. That'd be a helluva picture bouncing around in his mind

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    No doubt he would be a great counter, but I'd like to see the look on his face the first time he loses 8 big bets in a row. That'd be a helluva picture bouncing around in his mind
    I doubt it would phase him. He would understand the math and expect this to happen a certain percentage of the time. It is the people that really don't understand the long run math that get shaken and rattled by having what is expected to happen along the way happen.

very cool. Great skill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I doubt it would phase him. He would understand the math and expect this to happen a certain percentage of the time. It is the people that really don't understand the long run math that get shaken and rattled by having what is expected to happen along the way happen.
    I'm not so sure. Chess doesn't have a variance component so a loss tends to be taken very hard. I wouldn't be surprised if a chess master had a hard time accepting variance in a game like poker or blackjack. It would depend on that person's psychological make up.

You may be right but I just imagine him being well prepared with lots of time playing at no risk on the computer and lots of study before playing. I would think he would be ready for what is natural to playing the game.

I actually started playing chess a little over a week ago. I was bored and was talking to someone about chess [random subject]...and we played a few games of chess online. Hadn't played in many years. I was much better than I was expecting myself (myself? is that right Don?) to be. Played several other games online and as it turns out, I lost most of the games to anonymous players, but most were pretty close up until the end. I can feel myself improving every game I play. I wanna get good at it. I think it'll keep my mind sharp....and if for no other reason than to play someone randomly and be able to crush 'em! Bwahahaha! <evil laugh>

Most games (online) don't take too long, especially if/because you're playing with a timer. Not entirely sure how the timer stuff works. But it's a fun way to kill a few minutes if you're not doing anything else.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

I find the more I play BJ and learn about the math, the less the swings bother me. I doubt I'll ever not care, I just don't care to excess because I know with enough play the numbers will right themselves.

Chess can be fun. I used to love chess and study plays. I played it a lot in middle school with friends and online. I was fairly good. I tried to join the chess club when I was in Highschool, but they wouldn't let me join. I think they didn't want a girl on their team. I lost interest about two weeks later and haven't played since =/.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast