Thread: TC 0 Indices

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

TC 0 Indices

As a recent BJ convert (I've learned BS, I18 and Fab4), I'm in the process of learning additional indices to strengthen my game. According to my CVBJ software, the following situations all have an index of 0 for the game I'm playing (HiLo 8D, S17, LS, DAS):
    16 v 10
    12 v 4
    A2 v 5
    33 v 2
    A7 v 2
    and 88 v 10 for Surrender

What I find confusing is that the last two indices suggest a play different than BS at an index of 0 which doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

First of all, the surrender index of zero is wrong for 8,8 vs. 10. It's +1 for NDAS and +2 for DAS, no matter what you see anywhere.. Second, BS has nothing to do with an index of zero. That isn't how it's derived.

Don

As Don pointed out BS is not the same as play at TC 0. BS is the play that is correct only considering the cards in your hand and the dealer's up-card. They made have a 0 RC and they may not. TC 0 is the count for all seen cards. It averages a lot of different situations that all have TC 0. BS only consider a few cards and averages very few possible situations as it only assumes you have seen a few cards.

For your rule set, basic strategy is stand on A7v2.
    Index 0 means you'll double down A7v2 >= 0, else stand if < 0.

Surrender 8,8v10 >= 0, else split if < 0.
    EV of surrendering is -0.5, which is less costly than the EV of splitting at positive counts.
    You split < 0 because the EV is -0.4X, which is less costly than surrendering.

Just in case you're also confused about 12v4, since basic strategy says to always stand, you hit 12v4 < 0, else follow basic strategy and stand if >= 0.

Basic strategy does not assume a TC of 0

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    First of all, the surrender index of zero is wrong for 8,8 vs. 10. It's +1 for NDAS and +2 for DAS, no matter what you see anywhere.. Second, BS has nothing to do with an index of zero. That isn't how it's derived.

Don
    I also didn't understand this either about some of the indices. I thought there was an error in, listen to this, Beyond Counting! So if you do something like hit a 16 vs. a 10 it's because it's right off the top there is no other than a RC-1 in which case you hit. But it's not hit at TC0.
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Banned or Suspended

The Index for 16 vs. 10 (SD, Hi-Opt II) is -0.3