Thread: What is a losing streak

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What is a losing streak

When people say 'I just had a two month losing streak', what exactly does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Avincow View Post
    When people say 'I just had a two month losing streak', what exactly does that mean?
    Politely put, results were somewhat sub optimal resulting in bankroll shrinkage. Some might argue that "strange things are afoot at the Circle K". Others would comment that results were shit. Regardless of verbiage utilized, losses outweighed wins, which is clearly not a long term viable strategy.

i don't get it either. I can understand something like I lost 10 sessions in a row (and call it a losing streak). For some who track their BJ performance by month, it probably means that after having won (more than lost) over the year, they have lost money (overall) over the past two months.

Banned or Suspended

A "streak" is like "luck"

It is just a label applied to an event(s)
    post facto

It means for the past 2 months they've been on the wrong side of Variance (assuming they have a winning game - a high assumption).

In plain English it means.... losing for 2 months straight?

It means they have been in the red opposed to being in the black over x amount of time- this may mean they travelled, won money, yet did not increase their roll or net a profit for two months. With that said, I am on a major 'losing streak' currently and don't know when it twill end.
    There is no glory in practice, but without practice there is no glory . -Unknown

Wow. If it rakes 2 months of being in the red to have a losing streak I have never had one. Almost all of my steep downswings are measured in days or a week or two. The amount has been known to be quite high but the duration of losing never gets to a month. I always considered these relatively rare events losing streaks. I guess most people don't.

You are at a new all-time high only a small percentage of the time. It is not uncommon for players to have a 50 or 100 hour run where their bankroll is smaller at hour 100 than it was at hour one. Some of those run to 150 or 180 hours. Just remember, if youre playing a +EV game you're still accumulating expectation and eventually, you never know win, it will all come crashing in through positive variance that is higher than the negative variance.

Still, it's far better to be the beneficiary of positive variance early on, it grows your bankroll and allows you to bet bigger.

I think it's pretty self explanatory. I believe it's when your losing sessions outweigh your winning sessions over a period of time. Ex/ I had a "losing streak" that lasted about a month and half or so, where I lost about $16K. I DID have some winning sessions in between, but my BR was getting smaller and smaller over that time period. I believe "winning streaks" mean the same thing, only in the opposite effect.

But the streaks don't matter. As long as your BR can handle the fluctuations, you should come out on top as long as you're gaining +EV.

IMO, a "2 month losing streak" is where you lost most of your sessions and {of course} ended up in the red. If I won many sessions but had one gigantic losing session session, I would not call that a "2 month losing streak", even if I ended up in the red.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]