See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: differences

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

differences

Me and a potential partner have a major difference.
    He uses RPC for all games,
    I use h/l for shoes and hiopt2 for dd games. I asked him why he uses RPC and he said it was the first one he learned and he is not interested in learning h/l.
    I am stuck at this point, we are looking to do spotter/bp here soon. any ideas on how to make this work, if at all, or should I not get bothered with it?

thanks and sorry to post anom. Norm if you feel this is abusing the function please delete this thread and I will post under paid section under my handle when i get to my pc.
    This post was made anonymously by a member. Please do not abuse this feature.

Blog Entries

It's an interesting question. Offhand, sounds like the hiopt2 player could signal the ace-adjusted count to the RPC player. The opposite would be a bit less efficient, but still valuable.

But, the only reason you made the post anonymously was so Don wouldn't pick on you for not saying "A potential partner and I".
    Last edited by Norm; 09-08-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

When dealing with people that will not budge the other option is to move the distance to stand with them. You may end up liking RPC... or your next partner. That seems like what your options are.

Blog Entries

Properly done, the BP technique can be highly profitable. I wouldn't worry about a little loss in efficiency. Generally, the point is that the deck is rich. The BP doesn't need to be a master player. Having said that, DD games don't give you much time for the BP to jump in and much playing time.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Properly done, the BP technique can be highly profitable. I wouldn't worry about a little loss in efficiency. Generally, the point is that the deck is rich. The BP doesn't need to be a master player. Having said that, DD games don't give you much time for the BP to jump in and much playing time.
    Not only that but shoe games generate far less heat.

good1 Norm.. I had to use a little cover

As to using hiopt2 and calling him in, I am not confident using hiopt2 for long periods or multiple shoe games. I much rather use h/l and skip to the next table after the TC doesnt warrant a wong in. I understand the principle behind spotter/bp but signaling a teammate into a random +running count isnt to my likings..

"But, the only reason you made the post anonymously was so Don wouldn't pick on you for not saying 'A potential partner and I.'"

But I certainly did cringe. Makes him a young person. That construction is an epidemic throughout the country. No one on earth spoke that way when I was young; it's a product of this "me first" generation! I have never heard a single high school student with whom I work coaching track EVER say, "Bob and I are going ..." That construction is completely foreign to the youth of America. Just horrendous.

Ironically, and just as stupidly, 90% of people say things like, "He gave the book to Bill and I." Sigh. We're a nation of functional illiterates.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "But, the only reason you made the post anonymously was so Don wouldn't pick on you for not saying 'A potential partner and I.'"

But I certainly did cringe. Makes him a young person. That construction is an epidemic throughout the country. No one on earth spoke that way when I was young; it's a product of this "me first" generation! I have never heard a single high school student with whom I work coaching track EVER say, "Bob and I are going ..." That construction is completely foreign to the youth of America. Just horrendous.

Ironically, and just as stupidly, 90% of people say things like, "He gave the book to Bill and I." Sigh. We're a nation of functional illiterates.

Don
    Now you know why they put fluoride in the drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

Don
    The trick to getting this right is easy. Remove the other people from the sentence. "Bob and me are going ..." becomes "Me is going". And "He gave the book to Bill and I" becomes "He gave the book to I". I doubt anyone would say any of these sentences wrong in the first person singular. They just mess it up when the first person singular is in a conjunction with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    The trick to getting this right is easy. Remove the other people from the sentence. "Bob and me are going ..." becomes "Me is going". And "He gave the book to Bill and I" becomes "He gave the book to I". I doubt anyone would say any of these sentences wrong in the first person singular. They just mess it up when the first person singular is in a conjunction with others.
    But is there really anyone who should care?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    It's incorrect.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

And while we are on the subject of English, why do girls not wear dresses any longer. Now they all wear hip hugger blue jeans that make them look like they have a tire around the middle and sport tattoos and plumbers cracks. Oh for the days of the lovely curvaceous voluptuous woman!
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Many people don't want to appear uneducated. Others think it is cool to seem ignorant. To each his own I guess. There is an advantage to be gained from being underestimated but there can be a cost in opportunities as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast