Thread: Adjusting your bet ramp on the fly.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Adjusting your bet ramp on the fly.

Lets say you are a red chips player that normally plays a $5.00 table at a local place. Your now traveling say to Vegas. We will pretend that.... you are now finding some games that you want to play but the table minimums are different.
    Lets say $10, $15, and $25.

On the $5.00 tables they were spreading $5 to $50. How would they adjust this beat spread for $10, $15, and $25 table son the fly for the new minimums?

There is no "general" answer, only a specific answer developed from knowing your count system and departures, your bankroll and the games you will be playing. Suggest you use CVCX to model the trip.

If coming to Vegas beware and avoid 6:5 games on the strip. They are very prevalent on low limit games.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

On the fly? Just bet the same number of "units" at each TC, your units are just bigger. This is assuming the games are the same rules/pen as the $5 games you're playing, except larger minimums, and that you're using hi-lo.

If you're playing a good pen double deck or 3:2 single deck you might be able to get away with a $10 min and spreading to 5-8 units. Your RoR (with a bankroll more suited for a $5-$50 spread) will be higher than I'd be comfortable playing with if you plan on playing 4-6 deck games and upping your min bet. Prepare to Wong.

I also suggest CVCX if you have the chance.

Arnold Snyder also has an index for knowing how much you have to spread to beat a game in his book Blackbelt in Blackjack.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

This is not a personal question but rather a question on how to maybe adjust on the fly.

Could you not just do something like the following.

5 to 50 is a 1 to 10 spread. So if you are at a $10.00 table (All things considered fairly equal) could you not just then spread $10 to $100. For the $15.00 table $15 to $150 and for the $25.. $25 to $250. And so on?

Lets assume you are properly banked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty View Post
    On the fly? Just bet the same number of "units" at each TC. This is assuming the games are the same rules/pen as the $5 games you're playing, except larger minimums, and that you're using hi-lo.

If you're playing a good pen double deck or 3:2 single deck you might be able to get away with a $10 min and spreading to 5-8 units. Your RoR (with a bankroll more suited for a $5-$50 spread) will be higher than I'd be comfortable playing with if you plan on playing 4-6 deck games and upping your min bet. Prepare to Wong.

I also suggest CVCX if you have the chance.

Arnold Snyder also has an index for knowing how much you have to spread to beat a game in his book Blackbelt in Blackjack.

Exactly what I was thinking. So in my examples the units are the minimum bet.

Everything else equal and properly funded, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mushin View Post
    On the $5.00 tables they were spreading $5 to $50. How would they adjust this beat spread for $10, $15, and $25 table son the fly for the new minimums?
    Wong in with a bet $25 at TC =2; 40 at TC=3; & 60 at TC=4; The higher the table min, the more aggressive your wong outs need to be.

I would just learn your advantage by TC for a 6 deck H17 game. Calculate an optimal back-counting spread for that game. Those values will be a halfway decent approximation of your correct bet at any TC for any game, and you can easily make slight adjustments on the fly. You can probably "shift" your bets by about 10% for S17, 15% for DD and Surrender.

Obviously, this is not an optimal bet spread, but it will be close enough in basically any game, assuming you're betting less than Full Kelly.

Also, if your max bet is $50, and you're playing shoes, you should not have a max bet, you should just be betting optimally. That is, if the TC is like +20, you should be betting something like $150 or 200.
    The Cash Cow.

I would play around with CVCX a whole lot. Learn what your bankroll will allow (given your risk). Maybe I'll sim a DD game with a 1-6 spread. But I also see what other spreads all look like. That way if I'm in a situation where I can go balls to the wall, I can put out a larger max bet, generally because the TC is through the roof or there is something going on allowing me to have a big spread. Or other times there's something that's preventing me from spreading real big, but I know I can hang around for a good while spreading 1-4...not as profitable, but still worth my time. Or perhaps I want to really disguise my play (or try to), or get a higher average bet rating, I can bet 3 units in neutral counts, go down to 1 unit in negative counts, and go up to 12 units at good positive counts.

Also great to sim games you probably won't play as often. You never know when you're going to walk by a table that's full of little cards, catching your eye. Count skyrockets, some players begin to leave. You see the $100 min sign and now you're in a dilemma -- you don't know if your BR/risk can support wonging into a $100 min game, even with a nice juicy count. But if you're smart and already simmed the scenario, you'll already know something like, "I can wong in at +3 and bet $100...wong out at 0...and at +5 or higher I can bet $200."
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by mushin View Post
    Lets assume you are properly banked.
    wHY WOULD YOU BET a $50 max bets game when you can bet a $250 or $500 max bet game when are properly funded.Unless there are something that is exceptional .such as a pretty dealer that you liked!