Thread: Software error?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Software error?

Folks, part-time, non too experienced player here.

With a no-peek game and dealer showing a 10, are there any instances of hardware or software games that give the player a half-bet refund after doubling if the dealer then goes on to show a Blackjack, even if the player busts. Extreme conditions of course since I understand that you wouldn't normally want to double against a dealer's 10, more so if you're likely to bust but i'm only a bit-part player and I was just messing around with the software on freeplay.

If not then I've accidentally discovered a flaw in a major software program ha ha although I suspect that it can't be used in any major beneficial way. Got a supporting screenshot but it shows the software name so I may just keep it for my personal interest.

Definitely only works with the dealer showing a 10, then going on to show a supporting Ace. So no insurance, and no other combinations.

Perhaps I need to get out more.

Cath (in the UK)

Actually, I suppose this software fault justifies doubling a 10 or 11 against a dealer's 10? If you lose you get half your total stake back if dealer gets Blackjack. Any thoughts?

Cath

Think I've got this sussed now, it's not a fault and apparently is programmed. In this particular software program, if you double against a dealer's 10 and the dealer then goes on to show Blackjack then you get your original stake back. I really should get out more. Didn't know such a rule ever existed. Cath.

This kind of rule is common in Australia, where most games are no-peek and indeed no-hole-card. It's a compensation for the lack of peeking - it allows the player to double or split as if the dealer had already checked and found no BJ. Note that (as far as I know) it usually applies when the dealer starts with an Ace, as well, regardless of whether the player takes insurance.

There are a couple of versions of the rule. Here are the two I know off the top of my head:

"OBBO" (Original and busted bets only):
    If the dealer gets a blackjack, you lose any split hands that busted, and you lose your original stake.

"BB+1" (which is apparently only in Australia):
    If the dealer gets a blackjack, you lose any split hands that busted, and you lose one more unit. This would usually be your original stake, but if you split and busted on the first hand, the stake you lose would be the next one moving from right to left (left to right from the dealer's perspective).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lurppis View Post
    This kind of rule is common in Australia, where most games are no-peek and indeed no-hole-card. It's a compensation for the lack of peeking - it allows the player to double or split as if the dealer had already checked and found no BJ. Note that (as far as I know) it usually applies when the dealer starts with an Ace, as well, regardless of whether the player takes insurance.

There are a couple of versions of the rule. Here are the two I know off the top of my head:

"OBBO" (Original and busted bets only):
    If the dealer gets a blackjack, you lose any split hands that busted, and you lose your original stake.

"BB+1" (which is apparently only in Australia):
    If the dealer gets a blackjack, you lose any split hands that busted, and you lose one more unit. This would usually be your original stake, but if you split and busted on the first hand, the stake you lose would be the next one moving from right to left (left to right from the dealer's perspective).
    Does Crown still have OBBO for high rollers? Remember I am a nerd who is VERY risk averse ;-)

Brett.