Thread: Risk Averse Surrender Index for 8-8 v. 10, A Question for Don

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Risk Averse Surrender Index for 8-8 v. 10, A Question for Don

I saw Don's post on another site saying that the Hi-Lo index in PBJ, Table 33 for 8-8 v. 10 is wrong. It should be +1 if NDAS and +2 if DAS.

Don,
    What is the risk averse HiLo index to surrender 8-8 v. 10 for S17, DAS. 6 or 8 deck?

There are no risk-averse indices for surrender. RA indices are created when extra money is put on the table via splits and doubles, and you need to calculate whether the added gain is warranted by taking on the extra risk. When you surrender, you reduce risk by lowering the variance of the possible outcomes.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    There are no risk-averse indices for surrender. RA indices are created when extra money is put on the table via splits and doubles, and you need to calculate whether the added gain is warranted by taking on the extra risk. When you surrender, you reduce risk by lowering the variance of the possible outcomes.

Don
    Think about what you just said. You have the hand you always split supposedly (8,8vT) and the index to decide whether to split or surrender would therefore be RA because it is a split index with the other option being surrender. Remember this is 8,8vT. I just surrender the hand no matter what as my RA index. My playing count is a derivative of HIOPT II and has almost no correlation to the play so having any index would be pretty useless. HILO has a better correlation but it is still not good.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the guy who basically invented risk-averse indexes.

Surrendering slightly below the index with a large bet out should lead to an increase in SCORE/CE.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Think about what you just said. You have the hand you always split supposedly (8,8vT) and the index to decide whether to split or surrender would therefore be RA because it is a split index with the other option being surrender. Remember this is 8,8vT. I just surrender the hand no matter what as my RA index. My playing count is a derivative of HIOPT II and has almost no correlation to the play so having any index would be pretty useless. HILO has a better correlation but it is still not good.
    Thanks Tthree and moo. On a sim that I have that is a couple of years old, the EV index was +1 and the RA index was -3, but at the time Norm told me there was a bug in the program that showed the wrong amount of EV for the alternatives but that the index was right.
    When I saw Don's post saying that the EV index should be +2, it got me wondering whether -3 is right for RA.
    I will probably follow Tthree's advice and always surrender cause I rarely play a negative count, but I am curious if anyone has an RA index for this.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the guy who basically invented risk-averse indexes.

Surrendering slightly below the index with a large bet out should lead to an increase in SCORE/CE.
    Except that with 88 vs 10 when it's correct to split you never have a large bet on the table and it's always correct to surrender with anything other than a minimum bet on the table. As for me I always surrender 88 vs 10 as part of my overall surrender strategy. (Just like I stand on 16 vs 10)

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    Except that with 88 vs 10 when it's correct to split you never have a large bet on the table and it's always correct to surrender with anything other than a minimum bet on the table. As for me I always surrender 88 vs 10 as part of my overall surrender strategy. (Just like I stand on 16 vs 10)
    Same here. 88v10 is a defensive split and -EV unless you have hole card information.

Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    If the round starts high, and drops off some, you can have a large bet out, with a playing decision at a count below the index, but the risk-averse play is to surrender.

Say you have $500. EV surrender is -$250, EV split is -$249. But the split requires you to risk $1000 in total. You're putting $750 at risk to pick up $1. Which play do you think gets you to the long run faster?
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Say you have $500. EV surrender is -$250, EV split is -$249. But the split requires you to risk $1000 in total. You're putting $750 at risk to pick up $1. Which play do you think gets you to the long run faster?
    Now that puts things in a perspective everyone can understand, I hope.