Thread: Maintenance

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Maintenance

A change to the core of VBulletin is planned this weekend. If all goes well, there will be no downtime.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Pardon for the sluggishness this morning. We came under what appears to be a DDoS attack. Just under 1,000 guests nearly all in three IP ranges hitting the server as hard as they could, running it up to 100%. I have no idea why. I blocked 190,000 IPs, which appears to have reduced the problem. The planned maintenance includes changes to defend against such.
    Last edited by Norm; 02-20-2015 at 05:31 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Large changes have been made to the structure of the site this weekend. Please report any unusual events quickly. The changes are related to security and performance and should not affect current functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    I would bet you do have an idea why or at least who.
    Why, Agent Smith! matrix-smiley-009.gif Who else!

Norm (Morpheus) is doing everything possible to keep the sentinel machines (bots) from destroying the Nebuchadnezzar (Blackjack The Forum) and Agent Smith and his minions from killing its crew. Fear not! We all know how it ends. smiley-cool21.gif

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    I would bet you do have an idea why or at least who. Keep up the good work.
    It's an odd group trying to use forums to spread links. They've been opening hundreds of fake accounts for a year. Don't know why they switched to a DDoS attack. Could be they discovered how all their efforts have been useless due to a change I made a year back.

Blog Entries

The same group attacked again this morning from Australia and the Seychelles. The CDN intercepted 140,418 requests from them. We were not affected.

I would hate to venture attribution when I don't know, so I'll leave it as some cat from Australia. Is there an international law or protocol against such actions along with penalties to be exacted?

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries

Geo location doesn't mean much these days. There have been arrests of the Anonymous group.