Thread: Oops

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Oops

Apologies for the inconvenience. We had a disk crash. I don’t believe any posts, PMs, or settings were lost. Please report any problems quickly.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

It happens, I'll let you know if I find anything.

I noticed it wasn't just this site that went down. You have a lot of internet presence and each one that I tried was down. I am glad you got it sorted out and that you apparently lost nothing.

Blog Entries

Not out of the woods yet. One disk died and the other is flaky. Replaced the bad disk and am copying to it. Then the other disk has to be replaced and synced with the first.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

We will be shut down at about 2am NY time to replace another disk drive. The shutdown time will either be short or very long.

Blog Entries

Comedy of errors; All’s well that ends well

(To quote two of the bard’s titles.)

It’s been an “interesting” week with our server. Both disk drives had problems. I had them replace the secondary drive, and then mirrored the primary drive to the secondary drive.

I then had them replace the primary drive. But, they installed a drive with a different physical sector size that couldn’t be used as a mirror. So, I asked them to replace it.

I made it extremely clear that they not mistakenly replace the wrong drive and under no circumstances discard the removed drive. You guessed it, they replaced the wrong drive and we ended up with two blank drives.

They have now put the good drive back and replaced the mismatched drive with a matched drive. I have reestablished and synced the mirrors.

We are highly unlikely to hit this situation again. We have two new, industrial strength, mirrored drives and should stay up even if one fails, with no loss of data.

I will do a test reboot in the morning. We will be down for ten minutes if it works.

norm

Don't Panic
    “It seemed to me ... that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.